Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Friday, June 27, 2008

LOB Book Club


Who needs Oprah? It's time that the LOB filled the void for the literate footie fan base out there. Here's my first recommendation - Chuck Culpepper's new book Bloody Confused: A Clueless American Sportswriter Seeks Solace in English Soccer. Culpepper, a journo for the LA Times became fed up with corporate American sports and decided to adopt Portsmouth as his club and spent a year following Pompey in the Premiership. It's been favorably compared to Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch and Bill Buford's Among the Thugs. Sounds like a good summer read, eh?

5 Comments:

Blogger West Ham Rising said...

I'm in . . . can I have until the end of the summer to read it, teacher?

2:32 PM  
Blogger West Ham Rising said...

Excuse me . . . professor.

2:32 PM  
Blogger gatorbob said...

Excellent! Good to have you on board, Trev. I reckon it might be fun. And yes, you can take your time with it. I only impose timelines with my students!

2:39 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

I have suggested it as a reading that my friends and I could do.
We read Team of Rivals, so we could read this.

I haven't heard back from them. That is a good thing. I was expecting some sarcasm right away!!!

10:31 PM  
Blogger gatorbob said...

I should mention that Culpepper's book is available in the UK as "Up Pompey!" and will be published in paperback in August back here. I've seen a few advance copies available online from places like Amazon and Powell's, though.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home