Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Wednesday, December 13, 2023

LAKENHEATH HIGH SCHOOL"S FUTURE

 Hello All You LOBers,

I have been meaning to add a post on LOB since Kathy and I returned from England. We were over there for two weeks and had a grand time. Spent time with my family in East Anglia. Drove up to Scotland to visit Kathy's niece in Glasgow. We then went to the border town of Hawick. The town that Kathy's mom was born. We then went off to Manchester for a couple of nights. Stayed in Hotel Football and went to see United beat Luton 1-0(they were awful) It was a great time tho. Met Alex Stepney after the match and had my picture taken with him and got his autograph. Later in the evening, I bumped in to Sammy McIlroy in Cafe Football and had my picture taken. After Manchester, back to EA then went to Portsmouth, had a private tour of Fratton Park. Next day off to Wembley to watch England v Malta(they were awful). It was a great time tho. The last day, we had a great family reunion in Sevenoaks, Kent with all my cousins. It was a great end to a great trip. I drove over 1500 miles!

Anyway...I do babble on...the main reason for this post is about my trip to Lakenheath. I had tried to send emails to administration about being allowed on the base to visit the plaque and tree for my father. I never heard back from any of them. While I was there, I called the school and was able to set up a time for us to visit the school. Sadly, the tree that was planted for my dad caught a disease and died a few years back. When were there, I asked if there was a way we could have a new tree planted. It then that she told me that the school as we know it is closing down by the year 2030! It is being moved to the space behind the old commissary and bowling alley. The football field has already moved there. There is a big building on the old field! She said that they would take the plaque to the new school. She wasn't sure about a tree.

Anyway, I thought you guys would like to know this bit of information and here are some pictures of the day


Take Care 

Dave

















6 Comments:

Blogger United We Stand said...

Tried to post a couple of videos that didn't seem to load!

Hope it wasn't too much!

8:00 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

The gaps are supposed to be videos of the library and gym

8:01 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

The Annex is no longer the Annex

7th and 8th graders go there!!

8:07 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

The last picture is of course outside my dad's office

8:08 PM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

I enjoyed reading your posts. Sounds like a fascinating trip. Sorry about your dad's tree. Hope they plant a new one at the new location. Agreed with you 💯% about the two matches., but meeting Stepney and McIlroy is the experience of a lifetime. I'm surprised you were able to recognize them. Stepney must be 80. Great photos too.

8:09 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Thanks, Dave - that's a brilliant post. Loved seeing your pictures of our old haunts. Sorry to hear about your dad's tree but the plaque is looking great. I appreciate your taking the time to load all of those images.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home