Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Silly Season

With silly season coming to a close and the transfer window opening this week, it's time for all of us to dream. What gaps do you see in the squads of your favorite clubs? Who are the young talents who will fill those needs and propel your clubs to domestic and European glory?

Since my dreams are rather more modest, I'll let you fans of big boys list your favorite targets first. Berbatov? Drogba? Crouch? Who's on your shopping list?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger gooner71 said...

I'll base my wishlist on the stars and finds during the Euros.

I was very impressed with Yuri Zhirkov of Russia. They were playing him as a fullback, but I would find a place for him on the right wing and possibly push Walcott upfront and inside.

I would also raid the Russian larder for Denis Kolodin who was a monster of a center back. Obviously we could use someone stable back there.

We need a replacement for Flamini. I thought a lot of Orlando Engelaar of Holland. He's a moose of a guy so you'd lose some speed, but I was impressed at how he got forward and had a shot when the ball came loose.

Up front, we need a forward who could come on and change a game when we needed help. Who was more helpful than Semih Senturk? Time and again, the guy came on and saved the Turkish bacon.

And finally, if Adebayor does piss off to Spain or Italy after all, it's been good to have a target man doing that kind of work. A good replacement would be Roman Pavlyuchenko.

10:54 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

I also think that Big Phil should pay a shedload of money for Mario Gomez, and Martin Harnik. I'd certainly appreciate it.

Davey, I wish you Kevin Kuranyi, if only to see Wayne Rooney pull out that clownish Euro-trash facial hair.

Bob, I wish you Andrei Arshavin and David Villa to get you back into the Championship next season.

Oh, and I wish Spurs would pay a lot of money for a tiny ditherer of a midfielder. Requirements are that he only complete a pass to a teammate 5 yards away, get stripped of the ball time and again by anyone who tries to, and that he bottle his penalty kicks. What's that? HOW much for Luka Modric? Yes, that will do nicely.

11:05 PM  
Blogger gatorbob said...

Good shout, Gooner. I appreciate the nod toward Villa and Arshavin but we both know that they're not coming to the Elland. We'll be lucky if Beckford hangs around for another year and isn't completely sulky.

Here's a website where you can keep up with the big transfers:

http://www.betinf.com/england_transfer.htm

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home