Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Monday, March 30, 2009

80s Trivia of the Week

The rules for this one couldn't be simpler - I give you the memorable first line of the 80s pop hit - you give me the name of the tune.

1. "I bought a toothbrush, some toothpaste, a flannel for my face, pajamas, a hairbrush, new shoes and a case."

2. "Dig, if you will, a picture of you and I engaged in a kiss."

3. "You were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar when I met you."

4. "Broken glass everywhere, people pissin' on the stairs, you know they just don't care."

5. "He's laughing with another girl and playing with another heart."

6. "There was a guy got killed by 10,000 lbs. of sludge from New York and New Jersey."

7. "Now the king told the boogie men you have to let that raga drop."

8. "Welcome to your life, there no turning back; even while we sleep, we will find you."

9. "You put the boom-boom into my heart, you send my soul sky high when the lovin' starts."

10. "And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack; and you may find yourself living in another part of the world."

11. "I used to think maybe you loved me, now baby I'm sure."

12. "So much for your promises, they died the day you let me go."

Best of luck, folks!

15 Comments:

Blogger United We Stand said...

#1 Tempted by Squeeze
#2 When Doves Cry by Prince
#3 Don't You Want Me by The Human League
#9 Wake Me Up Before you Go-Go by Wham
#12 I leave to someone else

Anyone else

8:45 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

#10 Once in a Lifetime by Talking Heads
#11 I will leave to another Lakenheath Alum

No too shabby that the last two belong on an 80s quiz AND also belong on Lakenheath Old Boys!!!

It's amazing how it comes back to you just by reading the words

8:55 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

All correct, lad!

Did you sing them? And, if so, did the family kick you out of the house?

10:17 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

Yes I did and no they didn't

What about the rest of you.... let's be havin you

6:53 AM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

7. Rock the Casbah

8:26 AM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Yes, indeed. As they say, "Shareef don't like it," and what they mean is, "Shut that bazouki up, Dave!"

10:07 AM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the two tossers in the photo above (or the multiple belt look that Roland Orzabal is sporting!). Total giveaway!

2:15 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

I didn't know we had to mention
TEARS FOR FEARS

3:36 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Which tune is it then?

3:50 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

#8 Everybody Wants to Rule the World


I was in the mood to listen to some of these.
I tried to listen to Prince and do you know that PLONKER has muted all of his videos on the net!!!
Even cover versions!!

9:17 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Right you are on The Tears for Fears. It is a pretty dark lyric for a seemingly lightweight pop song, isn't it?

And right you are on the Prince muting issue. The artist formerly known as is a strange duck alright.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Bivalve88 said...

#4 "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash

#5 "Smooth Operator" by Sade

#6 "Monkey Gone to Heaven" by the Pixies

#11 "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves (that one was WAY too easy ;)

#12 "Shattered Dreams" by Johnny Hates Jazz

Great quiz!!!!

9:47 AM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Well in, Bets. All present and correct. Thanks for playing, folks - more to come!

10:35 AM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

By the way, Dave, you'll have to join Facebook in order to play my most excellent Monty Python quiz.

Get on wi' it, lad!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Bivalve88 said...

It is a most excellent Python quiz. I'm ashamed I didn't get more right!

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home