Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Plea to the LOB

I'm starting in on a new research project where I'm going to analyze representations of social studies teachers in movies of the 70s and 80s and I was hoping that you lot might help me out. Here are the movies on my list so far:
Last Picture Show (1971)
American Graffitti (1973)
Cooley High (1975)
Grease (1978)
Rock and Roll High School (1979)
Fame (1980)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
Teachers (1984)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
Stand and Deliver (1987)
The Principal (1987)
Heathers (1989)
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)

Now, can you think of any other movie from 1970-1989 that features a social studies teacher? I don't care about the quality of the film or the genre - if anything, the worse the movie, the better. Cheers!

7 Comments:

Blogger gooner71 said...

I'll have a longer think about this but surely one of those John Hughes movies had a social studies teacher in it.

11:36 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

You're probably right, Gooner. I should just run straight through his oeuvre but the only one that springs to mind is the iconic Ben Stein performance in "Ferris Bueller."

12:07 AM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

I am not sure what subject both main characters taught in the Arsenal 'Fever Pitch' Movie
Actually, maybe they were both English teachers

sorry

3:35 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Yeah - if you're thinking of the English version with Colin Firth and Mark Strong, they're both English teachers. I'm not sure that the Red Sox loving Hornby manque in the American version played by Jimmy Fallon was actually working at all, was he? Not sure - in any case, I'm looking for American context and only from 1970-1989. Thanks for playing, though.

4:05 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

sorry, i struck out on all three counts!

5:01 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

No worries, mate. I appreciate the effort. Any other suggestions?

7:25 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

I think you started with a pretty comprehensive list of films.

What about TV... Freaks and Geeks, My So Called Life, Malcolm in the Middle, are they too recent?

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home