Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Monday, February 22, 2010

Central Defenders' Convention

I thought you might enjoy having a look at an image that the Gooner unearthed over the weekend that shows my momentous meeting with Liverpool and Match of the Day great Alan Hansen outside the hospitality area at Anfield during a Euro 1996 match between Italy and Russia. The look on my face is - "Cor, I'm shaking hands with Alan Hansen!" while the look on Hansen's face is - "Once the other takes this photo, I'm getting away from these mad American bastids as quickly as possible." Enjoy!

4 Comments:

Blogger gooner71 said...

What he should have been thinking is "hang on, if this mad Yank is the only one here who's spotted me, what does this say about the level of interest for football in the USA."

Still, it's shocking defending that he didn't see you drift into position to shake his hand before it was too late.

7:34 PM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

I can match this, but don't have any evidence. You might remember when we went with the Host Nation Club to watch matches at Wembley in the standing section. In February 1982 we went to watch England vs Northern Ireland which England won 4-0.Anyway, after the match like a prod,I got lost and ended up in the England dressing room and ran into Phil Thompson. Talk about shocking defending. I asked for him for an autograph and he said in a snippy tone I don't think so. His friend come on, so I eventually got the autograph. next thing he was swarmed with school children while I eventually made it back to the bus.Strange as this story seems it is actually true.

11:40 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

England dressing room... I don't think so!

As for Bob's picture, very impressive!
Of course, I have photographic evidence of meeting Prince Charles.

6:58 AM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

Davey, don't dismiss necessarily. That time I stopped over in Iceland on the way to the UK so I could see a Euro Qualifier versus the Turks, in looking for the Icelandic FA ticket office at their national stadium, I took a wrong turn and found myself in an empty Turkish dressing room. All the kit had been laid out and seeing that, I scarpered right out of there. I didn't need a Nihat upside the bonce.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home