Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Thursday, July 01, 2010

LOB Bookclub - Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I thought that we might pick the bones of Stieg Larsson's book now that the three of us have finished it. I also had the chance to see the brilliant adaptation by Niels Arden Oplev at a local arts theater last week. Plenty to talk about then.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bivalve88 said...

I found the book annoyingly slow to get started. It wasn't until Chapter 12 that I finally got really interested, but at that point I found it hard to put down.

The mystery in and of itself was not that hard to solve. Lots of obvious clues. I liked that Harriet ended up a sheep farmer in Australia. That was fun although it had the whiff of being added in for a future movie. Am I just being cynical?

My favorite scene was when Salander gets back at Bjurman by restraining him, sodomizing him, and then tattooing him. I like the way this girl thinks. And I wish all women had her cojones. If some of the abusive jerks out there thought they might get Bjurmanized, they'd think twice about abusing their victims.

One thing I found very interesting was Salander's relationship with Mikael and how his open door policy with her let her be free to face her demons and encouraged her stick around. Whenever she would balk, he would back off and he never pushed her into anything.
He saved her as much as she saved him.

Good choice, Gooner!

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home