Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Monday, July 02, 2012

Are Spain The Greatest Side of All Time?

After Spain's sensational 4-0 win over Italy yesterday, there has been the inevitable discussion of the issue of whether this current Del Bosque-led side is the greatest footie team ever. Here's my two cents: given that they've won an unprecedented three consecutive major trophies, they must be on the list but, for me, they're toward the bottom after the following:

1. Brazil - 1970
2. Brazil - 1982
3. Hungary - 1950s
4. France - 1980s
5. Netherlands - 1970s

The reason for that is that the measure of greatness is not just having won trophies - Hungary and the Netherlands famously won nothing during their heights of greatness - but having entertained. On that score, Spain falls short. Spain aren't just boring because they're too good or don't make any mistakes - the popular theories this past few weeks. Rather it's because they go out with the intent of controlling possession rather than actually creating goal-scoring chances. There is a connection, as any novice footie watcher knows that a team risks losing possession the further up the pitch they go. Moreoever, I still think this Spain can be found out by a more dynamic side - and I'm surprised that the Germans haven't done that yet. Roll on Brasil 2014!

More discussion from the Torygraph here - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/spain/9369689/Euro-2012-classic-international-football-teams-to-contest-Spains-claim-to-be-the-greatest-of-all-time.html

8 Comments:

Blogger United We Stand said...

Did you get this link from my email or did you find it yourself?

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would agree with you the top 2. Hungary could be there but I would put the Dutch above France. I don't think I would have the French in this list

9:41 AM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

That anonymous was from me!!

Don't know why!

11:51 AM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Nicked it off you, Anonymous. Thought it was a discussion that deserved some airing on the LOB.

How's the heat out your way?

11:59 AM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

No troubs with that

It is hot but a bit breezy today
You?

1:23 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Beautiful here in WNY - feeling bad for the East Coasters.

1:53 PM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

I would like to give my two cents worth and state that I did not start watching footie until 1977, so a lot of my knowledge is based on watching old highlights and reading books.I have always been fascinated with footie history and am fascinated to see how teams from different eras compare.Enough said, here goes.I agree with Red Devil that France of the 80s should not be on the list. They were a pleasure to watch, but just short. I enjoyed watching Platini, Giresse,and Tigana in the midfield and wish they had played Brazil in the '82 final, but they were unlucky in that semi.I stated In the email from UWS that Spain must be in the list for winning three consecutive tournaments, but are they the greatest. The answer must be no as I think the Magyars and Brazil '70 would have defeated.Two teams that may have made the list and were not included were West Germany of the early to mid 70s and Italy from the 30s.Probably not the greatest as they were the Spain of their eras.Next, the Mighty Magyars of the 50s have to be considered as they would have been an absolute joy, especially with the Galloping Major. I believe that team fell apart around 1956 as their key players defected.I rank them number 2.I would rank the Dutch of the 70s tied third with west Germany of the 70s; Cruyff, Neeskens, Krol, Rep, were magic. Number one in my book is Brazil 1970. I would like to call that Brazil of the late 50s through 1970.Yes there were changes, but other than that blip in '66 they won everything in sight , steamrolling opponents with the greatest of ease. Every player was a brilliant footballer, no weaknesses except at keeper.They must be number one in my book and as I always read that Brazil team with Banks in goal and they are perfect!

2:31 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

For me it's Brazil of '82 because I was watching and was utterly in thrall to them at their height.

But I would point out that Spain when they get going are pretty special to watch. It's only when they resort to the chess-like probing and chasing that they do against tasty teams with threats like Ronaldo and Balo that get me down. I for one am glad to have seen this generation of wonderful Spanish and Catalan players which I do think deserve to be spoken of in the same breath, but perhaps not as the greatest of all time.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home