Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Specials on Saturday Night Live - 1980

When I was listening to Marc Maron's conversation with Saturday Night Live alumnus Fred Armisen today, I noted that Fred's favorite SNL musical guest was a 1980 set by The Specials - and I thought, "I don't think I've ever seen that." So - here they are in all their glory, at the height of their powers, doing "Gangsters." See if it doesn't give you goosebumps.

Cut and paste this link into your browsers, rude boys!

http://vk.com/video16170376_169234497

3 Comments:

Blogger Someone Said said...

May have been my introduction to ska. Certainly my first experience with the 2-tone label. An awareness moment I saw live.

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, this was one of the best performances ever on SNL but I think the sound has been dubbed over so it's not really sung "live" on the video. But still. Great song & performance.

If you like The Specials, check out The English Beat, Bad Manners & The Selecter.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Chef Rafael Landi said...

I was high as f the night this came on Saturday night live in 1980. I was absolutely changed from this moment I was15 years old

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home