Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Friday, May 22, 2020

FA Cup Final Day

As I have said many many times, Cup Final day was my favorite day of the year. I was excited the whole week getting ready for Saturday. I would get up early and watch all the build up. At the team hotels, on the bus to Wembley, It's A Knockout, Question of Sport and all the features!
Tomorrow would have been Cup Final Day if it wasn't for bloody Covid!! The day has lost its luster in recent years but it will always be big in my mind.

Here are a couple of FA Cup links to bring us all together.

The FA Cup's 50 Greatest Moments

Every Cup Final scorer from the past 40 years


Enjoy,

UWS

3 Comments:

Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Happy (Would Be) Cup Final Day, Dave. It was always one of my favorite days of the year. My first one was in Feltwell on Portal Close where I watched my beloved Leeds defeat Gooner's Arsenal. Didn't enjoy the next year nearly as much.

What was your favorite Cup Final experience?

9:31 AM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

The first Cup Final I truly remember is the same the Cup Final!
I know of '71 but don't remember it at all. I do remember Leeds winner with a Clarke diving header from a Mick Jones cross. Right at the end of the match, Jones did the same sort of cross but damaged his shoulder. Went up to get the trophy with his arm wrapped against his body.

I remember thinking during the '75 Cup Final....FULHAM have made the Cup Final and my beloved United hadn't made a Cup Final in my lifetime! The NEXT year....they made it... we all know what happened. I cried! Joel came over right after the final whistle to laugh at me! I refused to come out!

We made it right the next year!!! Steve Caldwell(Pool Fan) at my house screaming at me as Case equalized! Greenhoff's chest shut him up!

Every Cup Final Day was like Christmas Day! I enjoyed all the 70s Finals....Town's win... didn't like the next year too much tho!
I remember as Mcilroy scored the equalizer I went absolutely nuts and went running outside the front of the Meadows!! I made it back inside into the dining room... still jumping around..... looked thru the hatch to the kitchen telly to watch bloody Sunderland!

9:57 AM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Those were some classic Cup Finals. For some reason they were more memorable than the recent ones.

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home