Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Monday, August 21, 2006

Green Street Hooligans


A friend of mine saw this movie. This is what he said about it.

It is about an American kid who gets expelled from Harvard, so he decides to visit his sister who married and lives in England. His sister's brother-in-law runs the hooligan organization that follows West Ham. He becomes one of them and we see various riots between themselves and the other club hooligans. In one scene, they outsmart the MU hooligans and beat the fuck out of them at the Manchester train station.

Have any of you seen it? If you have, what did you think?

Dave

9 Comments:

Blogger gatorbob said...

I haven't seen it but have heard mixed things about it. It never came to my backward neck of the woods and I've so far been tempted away from it mainly due to the presence of that silly sod from Lord of the Rings in the lead role. It's on my Netflix list, but it keeps getting dinged down in favor of the latest Bush bashing documentary. But I am curious. Any film that features ManYoo fans getting pummeled can't be all bad, right?

1:09 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

My buddy saw it on Movies on Demand through Time Warner Cable.

He also said... It's a bad movie starring Elijah Wood, but you might find it interesting. It's EXTREMELY violent, and not very good, but I think you'd find all the English soccer references interesting.

4:31 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

I've been warned off this one by a number of my friends. I have to say that I just didn't buy the casting of Wee Elijah Wood as a holiday hoolie. What, they couldn't get Daniel Radcliffe or Shia LeBoeuff?

The two footie related ones that I would think about seeing is that one about the Latino kid playing for the Toon and that one about the 1950 US Squad that beat the English.

I'd probably watch GSH if it came on one of those free movie channels you get with the digital cable.

9:31 PM  
Blogger gatorbob said...

I've heard equally mixed things about the one about the Latin kid playing for Toon - and then Real in the second film, and then in the World Cup in the third film. As that suggests, it as no basis in reality.

I'll be watching "Bend it Like Beckham" for the umpteenth time before I see either of these turkeys.

9:51 AM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

Speaking of good footie movies, did anyone ever see that Sean Bean movie, "When Saturday Comes." And I'm curious about that Robert Duval movie, "A Shot At Glory."

Anyone ever see either of these?

10:29 PM  
Blogger gatorbob said...

Yeah, I think "When Saturday Comes" was on one of Mom's tapes. Quite good. I haven't seen any clips of the Duval movie, but I'm intrigued.

11:21 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

I saw the Robert Duval movie, it was ok. He took a lowly team and went all the way to the cup final. It was ok.
Nothing spectacular.

8:34 PM  
Blogger gatorbob said...

What's it called?

2:43 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

"A Shot At Glory"

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home