Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Thursday, May 07, 2009

The Worst Song of the 70s?

Not too long ago a colleague of mine here asked me in passing, not knowing that I had put a lot of thought into this matter, what I thought was the worst song of the 1970s. Without missing a beat, I replied, "The Pina Colada Song."

Most people will remember the horrible pseudo-tropical groove that pervades the Rupert Holmes song and can bring up the naff chorus about "getting caught in the rain" and other nonsense. However, I ask you to consider the opening two lines:

" I was tired of my lady/
we'd been together too long."

The comedian Dmitri Martin has long documented how any line can be made infinitely creepier by the mere insertion of the word "lady" or (even worse) "ladies." Here it starts from the premise that the Tommy Bahama-shirted, chest-hair and medallion adorned protagonist is on the prowl for a new "lady." If you need more evidence and have a strong stomach, take a look at the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVdhZwK7cS8

How about the rest of you? Can you top this one?

6 Comments:

Blogger Someone Said said...

Playground In My Mind - Clint Holmes. It brings out Cthulhu.

2:47 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks. (chunder)

3:24 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

My lord, those are bad. A quick Google search of Clint Holmes brought up a list of "Blatantly Bad 70s songs," including all three submissions as well as some that I had repressed. Top of the list - Captain and Tenille's stinker "Do It To Me One More Time."

That reminds me of a list produced by Mike White (best known for writing "School of Rock") for NPR's Guest DJ Project. His focus was songs that his parents played during his youth that scared him with their creepy sexuality. It included C and T as well as Carole King's "I Heard the Earth Move" and Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy." Hilarious!

8:58 PM  
Blogger Bivalve88 said...

I was going to nominate "Muskrat Love"... but there were so many bad Captain and Tenille songs, it's hard to pick just one.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Someone Said said...

Creepy sexuality = Paul Anka's "Having My Baby."

1:58 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Good choices there. I'm surprised that Dave hasn't chipped in on this thread. He was a big fan of the likes of "Kung Fu Fighting," "Ah Shut Up a You Face" and other Top of the Pops novelty hits.

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home