Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Juliet, Naked Too

I had a lovely walk over to school this morning with "Juliet, Naked" and a bit of Fleet Foxes on the iPod for audio support and got up into Chapter 3 (approx. p. 70). Nick's certainly got the music bore Duncan dead to rights. He's a character that I've met many times, know small elements in myself and I've certainly had the kinds of violent disagreements over art with KC (Jane Campion's "The Piano" springs to mind) that he describes well in Chapter 2.

But what about Annie? I've never been quite as convinced by Hornby's writing about women. The two books in which he's written in a women's voice - "How to be Good" and "A Long Way Down" - were the least appealing IMHO. The relationship between Duncan and Annie definitely rings true but I'm still waiting for Annie to emerge from the pages.

What are you two thinking?

5 Comments:

Blogger Someone Said said...

I've finished the book so I do not want to give too much away.

It was hard for me to figure out her motives. She was in a job she did not like, in a town she did not like and in a long term relationship that gave her little fulfillment than seeing her partner's obsessions through. It was difficult to find the why in her character,

1:32 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

That's a fair call, SS, but I'm still hopeful. As I was walking home, I got into Chapter 4 and it seems clear that Annie is going to connect with Tucker. That could become really interesting for her character.

Thanks for your restraint.

6:06 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

Nick writes empathetic female characters alright, but I'm with you Bob. The male music bore, the male repentant scoundrel, they're the characters that ring truest.

Your question from before about why is it that it's men that are the anorak trainspotters and not women has been getting me thinking--and it's true. It's 1030pm, and here I am blogging about a book, right after checking and updating my FB page. And before that, going through all the Arsenal blogs that I follow, including the one that's only about the reserves and young players.

I know plenty of women that are passionate about music, books, food, even sport, but they seem to keep some proportion about their interest so that it's not mania.

10:27 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Nick's definitely put his finger on something regarding the territorialism involved in obsessive cultural collecting. I've certainly experienced a similar feeling to what Duncan is going through with wanting to "own" a cultural artifact (book, musical artist, football side).

I'm trying to think of the equivalent to the "betrayal" of Annie's listening to "Juliet, Naked" before Duncan. Perhaps watching a footer match live and then giving away the result before I've watched the tape? Any suggestions?

I'm into Chapter 5 and around page 110 now. Loving it.

10:52 AM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

Oh I absolutely agree that there's a passive agressive element to Duncan's collecting.

I think that your example of divulging the match result before someone has had a chance to watch their recorded version of it is pretty apt. Dad can't contain himself after those mid-week CL games finish and calls me to "make sure you watch that Arsenal game," or to tell me "you're going to love that Arsenal game," or worse, to say "well, I think you'll find that Arsenal game interesting."

I still remember that he called me to make sure that I'd let plenty of space on the tape when we lost on penalties after none of the 4 who had a chance hacked down Ryan Giggs.

And certainly, some of that territorialism you speak of is the reason that I prefer still to buy the CD over the download for my favorite recording artists.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home