Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Monday, June 06, 2011

Back to Our Future - Part I

In Part I of Back to Our Future, David Sirota uses the Michael J. Fox sitcom Family Ties to frame his main thesis that the 80s cultural products that dominated television and film helped to reinforce the Reaganite "Morning in America" program by portraying a misty-eyed nostalgia toward the 50s and a hostile and exaggerated view of 60s turmoil. He writes: "Pitting that bleached snapshot of an arcadian, patriotic, benevolently capitalist, conservative, Caucasian, and therefore good fifties against the psychedelic cartoon of an anti-American, malevolently collectivist, permissive, diverse, and thus awful sixties came to be far more than an overused cliche of Hollywood scriptwriters....Thanks to the 1980s, it has become the foundational allegory in our red-white-and-blue theology - the creation tale subsequently referenced by every shaman, prophet, and zealot in our civic religion."

So far, so good, I thought. Sirota is a gifted writer and he sketches out his thesis clearly and compellingly. The quotes from the political sphere that Sirota uses, particularly on pp. 20-22, provide ample evidence of the use of 50s nostalgia and demonizing 60s movementism. However, the cultural references seem forced at points. Of course like any cultural critic, Sirota is painting with a broad brush and I'm willing to go with him on the obvious Vietnam-era revisionism of movies such as Rambo, but other references seem to be a stretch. Perhaps it's because I enjoyed movies such as Animal House and Diner, TV shows such as Happy Days and even the occasional Stray Cats tune. If I enjoy the occasional chili dog at the Johnny Rockets in the mall, am I supporting 50s nostalgia? I don't know.

It seems as if we've got four contributors on board at this point, so I'll be interested in your thoughts on this issue and others in Part I. Once we've digested this chunk, we'll probably be up to speed and can move on to Part II (pp. 31-104) next week. What do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger West Ham Rising said...

I was a sophomore in college when The Big Chill was released. I enjoyed the storyline and saw it more than once. Sirota uses The Big Chill as one example of Hollywood's trashing of the sixties community spirit in favor of eighties individual pursuit of excellence. Boy, let me tell you, I didn't get that at all back in 1983, kicking back with a bucket of corn. That's why I'm enjoying Sirota so much. An enlightening new perspective on a thirty-year old film. (gulp).

I recognized the constant critique of the Sixties(TM) since R squared, but through Sirota's "Die Hippie Die" chapter one can see how this trend has brought large swaths of the country to the point of labeling every "community organizer" a "communist".

I think supporting Fifties nostalgia through chili dogs at JR's is fine, Bob. Through Sirota I'm seeing the pining for the Fifties culturally is to take a step on the slippery slope to Palin Bachmann and the Tea Party Express . . ..

11:05 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

I agree with you on your analysis of "The Big Chill," WHR. I never saw it per se as an attack on the legacy of sixties movementism but rather as another in a long line of movies where middle aged old farts lament about how square they've become.

My main gripe about "The Big Chill" was that I found it a pale imitation of John Sayles wonderful "The Return of Secaucus 7." At the time, I assumed that this was a common reaction as I lived through college a mere 100 feet away from one of the best arts cinemas in the country and assumed that everyone else was attending Werner Herzog retrospectives too.

Still, like you, I'm enjoying Sirota's perspective - even when I find it a stretch - and it's making me reconsider the political impact of seemingly innocuous cultural artifacts.

How about the rest of you lot?

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home