Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Sunday, May 27, 2012

We now take a break for Eurovision...

Lads, thanks to Simon's technical wizardry, I watched the Eurovision song contest for the first time in simply ages yesterday. England's entry sung by 76-year-old Englebert Humperdink was too boring to even be worthy of comment. Sweden won with some quality Euro-pap, but as with all Eurovision, it was the spectacular fails that burn in the memory. Easily worst, Jedward's tragic entry on behalf of Ireland, and most camp, Can Bonomo from Turkey. I liked the Italian Nina Zilli's Amy Winehouse tribute, and Denmark's Soluna Samay. And for sheer Eurovision cheesiness, I thought Gaitana's entry for Ukraine. would do better. At least the incredibly grating Russian grannies didn't take home the win. Hopefully, BBC America will wake up to this phenomenon and televise it next year. Enjoy(?)

3 Comments:

Blogger Someone Said said...

I did not have the patience to find a video link but we listened along live on BBC-2 Radio. My first full Eurovision finals and I enjoyed it until the lengthy voting results.

I thought Sweden deserved the win and was highly entertained by the Russian Grannies. They had an oven onstage, got to love that!

Why BBC America does not show this live is beyond me, maybe it's copyright reasons. They're missing an opportunity.

3:03 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

Oh yeah! That inexplicable oven and then they took out baked cookies or something like it during the song. Classic Eurovision.

We were watching the results and it was touch and go for a while whether the grannies would take it.

If you click on the Turkish entry, please, please, please endure the whole thing. The pay off is at 2.17 if you simply can't bear it. The "Thriller Claws" are pretty special too.

I wouldn't blame you for not clicking the Irish entry, but if you do, click to the end for the pay off to that one.

3:34 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Thanks for the post, Gooner - I'm sorry that I missed the festivities this year.

It's clear that the dream of the 90s is alive in Europe. I found it hard to tolerate the tyranny of cheesy Euro techno even in short clips - even out of the mouths of cute Russian grannies.

I quite liked the Italian Amy Winehouse impersonator - my pick. But those Jedward twats need a kick in the balls. Unforgivable!

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home