Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Only 99 years in the making!!!!

My Chilean grandmother (I was born there, too) turned 100 this year. She had gone her entire life (and the life of the COPA AMERICA tournament) without seeing Chile hoist the cup. For a country that has always cracked or lost its nerve when the pressure was on, winning in PKs is an unexpected vindication.



There was some home-cooking involved in getting this far, but even if I were a neutral, it's nice to see a team employ an attacking philosophy and be rewarded for it. The starting lineup had only 3 in the back, none of whom are actually defenders at club level, with an average height of 5'7" (incidentally, my height as well, proving I am a true Chilean).

Argentina had a chance or two to put the match away, but they underwhelmed in the final, not adjusting well to Chile's relentless pressing and struggling to do much with the space and opportunity that Chile was ceding by focusing so heavily on Messi.

So, join me in saluting Chile. Just don't give Vidal the keys to your Ferrari (see below).



4 Comments:

Blogger manunitedrules said...

Congratulations on a fantastic accomplishment . I am delighted for you. Hopefully, this will be just the start of future achievements. I promise not to give Vidal the keys to my car.

4:56 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

A fabulous post and a fabulous win for Chile in the Copa - congratulations. I was really pleased to see Chile win this time around. They were deserving on a number of levels and the result also vindicated my stance that Lionel Messi is a big match bottler.

My apologies for the poor coverage of the Copa on the blog. Between the wedding and some technical issues with my laptop, I didn't have to see (or blog) any of it. After the honeymoon, it will be back to business as usual.

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No worries, the matches were not even shown in Italy. For shame.

9:40 AM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

They were BEIN shown in the U.S.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home