Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Coach Stanley Hunter RIP

I sent a 54th Birthday wish to our old teammate Joel Hunter this morning. He replied almost immediately thanking me for my birthday greetings but told me some very sad news.
His dad (and our coach) Stan died yesterday at the age of 84.
He was such a lovely man. I have great memories of being a friend's dad, a biology teacher and a soccer coach. He took Bob and I to the cricket at the Oval as Joel stayed to home to mow the lawn. He invited me on a family trip to Scotland and of course he drove me home from practice every day
You're in our thoughts Stan and so is your family

Cheers to Stan from all the LOBers

UWS

3 Comments:

Blogger manunitedrules said...

I completely agree. He was a great teacher, coach, and person. He was even my dad's teacher for a college class. It's a massive loss.

12:55 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Thanks for posting this lovely thread about our beloved Coach Hunter. I have so many great memories of him as a Biology teacher and as a coach. My favorite memory is probably when we were all watching the 1982 World Cup semi final between France and Germany at the Hunter's house. When Shoemacher flattened Battiston, Stan was visibly outraged and yelled, "that is a disgrace!" at the top of his lungs. He was a man of great moral convictions and he helped to bring us up right. He'll be sorely missed. RIP Stan.

5:45 PM  
Blogger West Ham Rising said...

I feel so fortunate to have been with you at the 1982 WC semi-final . . . I often lament that we all did not have the opportunity to grow old together and be able to support one another through these difficult chapters. I feel very fortunate to have been coached and taught by Stan the Man, if only for one year. He was kind and decent and we all benefited from his guidance. RIP, dear Coach Hunter

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home