Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Sunday, April 12, 2020

RIP Tim Brooke-Taylor (

Sad news this morning that another one of our childhood favorites, Tim Brooke-Taylor or the Goodies, has died of complications due to this terrible virus at the age of 79. Tim came up with the same generation of British comedians in the Cambridge Footlights tradition as the Python crew and created many of the comedy highlights of our youth. I absolutely loved The Goodies - I'll be trying to track down a YouTube version of "Ecky Thump" to watch today. RIP Tim - thanks for all of the laughs.

4 Comments:

Blogger manunitedrules said...

To be honest, I only watched a few episodes of The Goodies, but am very sorry to hear of his passing. This horrible disease does not discriminate. As several real people from various sources have stated, it's been a really sad with the passing of Stirling Moss and Peter "The Cat" Bonetti too.

4:03 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

They were a slightly more silly and somewhat more commercial version of the Pythons, to my mind. I loved them but my parents thought they were just juvenile and slapstick (which was true). One of the first 45" singles that I bought was their novelty hit "The Funky Gibbon," which I played endlessly while prancing about in my bedroom. Good memories.

4:06 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

I only remember Ecky-thump, and that was Bill Oddie's. TBT always impressed aa a very good chap and I'm sorry that yet another voice of my childhood is silenced. RIP Tim.

7:03 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

Let's Do the Funky Gibbon

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home