Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Monday, July 10, 2006

WORLD CUP 2006 IS OVER!!!


So, the Italians are the Wold Champions again!!!
What are your thoughts about Italy? France? Germany? Brazil? Portugal? And of course England?
Were you impressed with the quality on the pitch?
I just can't believe when the next one of these come around, my son will be going into his senior year!! Yikes!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger gatorbob said...

World Cups always suck me in promising more than they deliver and this one was no different. I was reasonably happy with the group stages, which had some excellent performances (Argentina vs. Serbia obviously sticks out) some excellent games (Germany vs. Costa Rica was about the best opening game I've ever seen) and great goals from Cambiasso, Cole, Lahm, Rosicky and many, many more.

But as the competition hit the high stakes knock out rounds, it seemed to grind to a halt behind some bizarre refereeing mistakes, cynical diving, head-butts and dubious penalties. In the end, then, I was frustrated by the Italian win (they weren't even in the Top Five best teams in my mind) and the reality that the semis featured four fairly boring teams.

In the period right before the World Cup started, King Eric kept imploring players to "play beautiful" during virtually every commercial break. We were all listening but it's obvious that the players weren't. Shame.

10:51 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

World Cup Awards.

Golden Ball
Zinedine Zadane

Lev Yashin Award
Gianluigi Buffon

Golden Shoe(I thought it was called Boot)
Mirolsav Klose

Fair Play Award
Shared by Brazil and Spain

AND(I am telling the truth here)
The Most Entertaining Team
PORTUGAL!!!!!! Fans across the globe voted and here are the results.
Brazil 2%, Germany 4%, Italy 41%, France 3%,
Argentina 3% AND PORTUGAL 47%!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT ON EARTH WERE PEOPLE WATCHING!!

9:25 AM  
Blogger gatorbob said...

I agree with all of those awards apart from the last one, which I'd give to Argentina - clearly the best team in the tournament.

I'd add one - Most Entertaining Prank - which I'd give to the group that put up those concrete soccer balls with the signs that read "Can You Kick It?" Brilliant!

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home