Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Why I Can't Vote for Obama



I know it will raise the hackles of the Obamamaniacs on this blog but I just can't stomach voting for Obama in the fall. And it's not because of some ridiculous distraction such as whether or not he wears a flag lapel pin or his choice of church. No, it's always been his position on the issues. Take a look at this clip from his appearance on Fox News Sunday today. If the Dems showed us the respect of nominating even a mainstream FDR Democrat, I might consider voting for them. But a neo-liberal who attacks "the teachers' union" (there are actually two), wants to "experiment with charter schools" despite the research showing the poor results of charters and wants to ram merit pay down our throats? No thanks! I'll be voting to the left this fall.

3 Comments:

Blogger West Ham Rising said...

Oh no! Gator, you reside in Florida. . . we can't lose you in the general, or will you have moved by then? . . . Educate me on your views on public charter schools? In DC, the public school system has failed many of our poorest neighborhoods -- and some of our wealthiest ones. Public charter schools seemed to have made a partial difference. They've at least given families a choice of where to send their children. . . . Sorry, I've missed the footie blogging. Coaching two teams (Mags and Cals) has taken up my Saturdays . . Big match on Saturday. . . Hopefully, Chelsea will lose at St. James Park, because the Hammers will crush ManYoo!

10:10 PM  
Blogger gatorbob said...

I'll be in New York, which will be a safe Democratic Party state in the fall. I might have to hold my nose and vote for a Dem, as I did in 2004, if I were still going to be in Florida.

Charters are really the epitome of neo-liberal "reforms" of the Clinton White House (again that reinforces how damned close Obama and Clinton are on the issues). Among progressive educators, there's a consensus that they drain money from the public sector. And even the dry statistic surveys based on testing show that students in charters do a little worse than those in mainstream publics. As I don't have kids, I don't judge individual sets of parents for their choices for their kids. But I have no time for a pol. like Obama who stumps for an idea that has proven wrong-headed.

If you want to read more, check out Michael Apple's "Educating the 'Right' Way."

10:54 PM  
Blogger West Ham Rising said...

Will do, thanks Gator.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home