Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Monday, August 10, 2009

New Nick Hornby Novel!


It was already looking like a busy fiction season coming up in the fall with new novels by Thomas Pynchon, Richard Russo and Monica Ali coming along. But then I heard that LOB fave Nick Hornby would be favoring us with a new work this week. Here's how Publisher's Weekly describes Nick's latest, titled "Juliet, Naked:"

"Hornby returns to his roots—music, manic fandom, messy romance—in his funny and touching latest, dancing between three perspectives on fame: a sycophantic scholar, an appreciative audience member, a fabled singer-songwriter who can’t see what all the fuss is about."

I don't usually have a lot of time for novels in the school year but I'll definitely be making an exception with this one. Anyone care to join me?

8 Comments:

Blogger Someone Said said...

Amazon's showing a U.S. release date on 9/29. I should be joining in.

Yes, a big release year. John Irving and Pat Conroy have new ones coming also.

1:02 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Well in, Someone. Yes, Nick's got a British release this week with the September U.S. release that you mentioned. Are you a Hornby fanatic as well?

I've gone off Irving and Conroy recently, but I'm willing to give them another chance. I saw a big ad for the Conroy in yesterday's NYTimes book supplement. Looks good.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Someone Said said...

Oh yes, you can call me a fan. He did a reading here about ten years ago and I got to talk to him for about thirty seconds. He seems to be a good guy.

Conroy just got skewered in the new Entertainment Weekly, who are more accurate with their reviews than you may think. We'll see.

I hated the first 200 pages of Irving's last book, but liked the other 600, which is another problem altogether!

Also trying to bribe my sister in law to send me the new Denise Mina, which is not due over here until March.

Yes, I read alot.

2:39 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

I'm in for Nick! I'd prefer to wait until the US release though. I'm keen but not so that I want to resort to amazon.co.uk.

2:57 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:08 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Sounds great - I can wait until September for sure.

5:53 PM  
Blogger West Ham Rising said...

I'm in for Nick too.

1:37 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Excellent!

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home