Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The 15 Most Overrated American Writers

You'll that I like a list more than most and I found this one of the most overrated novelists in the U.S. fascinating. I have to admit that I've only read four of them, so I'll be interested in your opinions. I completely agree with Shivani about William Vollmann's obsession with the Southeast Asian sex trade and Junot Diaz's lame attempt at street cred, but I've enjoyed both of Jonathan Safran Foer's novels and Jhumpa Lahiri's first book of short stories and particularly "The Namesake." Your thoughts on the following?

1. William Vollmann
2. Amy Tan
3. John Ashbery
4. Mary Oliver
5. Helen Vendler
6. Antonya Nelson
7. Sharon Olds
8. Jorie Graham
9. Jonathan Safran Foer
10. Jhumpa Lahiri
11. Junot Diaz
12. Louise Gluck
13. Michael Cunningham
14. Billy Collins
15. Michiko Kakutani

Read the piece by cutting the pasting the following:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anis-shivani/the-15-most-overrated-con_b_672974.html

1 Comments:

Blogger gooner71 said...

I enjoy Junat Diaz's short stories that have been in the NY'r mag.

Foer, though, leaves me unimpressed. Can't say I know the work of others on the list.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home