Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cable Television - A Modest Proposal


Anyone else frustrated with cable (or satellite television) packages? We pay an exhorbitant flat fee for a hundred odd channels, most of which we never bother with, and then often extra dosh for those we desperately need (FSC, e.g.). So here's a modest proposal: pay a dollar for each channel you actually want. I could probably live with $25 channels and earn a significant savings on my current bill. Imagine it - no home shopping, Spongebob, televangelists, golf or Nancy Grace to bother you. Here they are:

1. NBC affiliate
2. ABC affiliate
3. CBS affiliate
4. PBS affiliate
5. Fox affiliate
6. TNT
7. MSNBC
8. ESPN
9. ESPN2
10. FSC
11. Fox Soccer Plus
12. HBO
13. AMC
14. Travel Channel
15. Sundance
16. IFC
17. Ovation
18. VH1 Classic
19. MTV Jams
20. Food Channel
21. Comedy Central
22. Showtime
23. BBC America
24. Cinemax
25. Flix

So what are your twenty-five choices?

3 Comments:

Blogger West Ham Rising said...

I heard a commentary piece somewhere (CNBC?) recently about the need for cable to go a la carte. I too pay a fare amount for channels we never, ever watch. I don't think I've ever watched OVATION or FLIX. I'd want to move Skin-e-max up the list quite a bit. Never watch MTV Jams or VH1 Classic. I'd need a few of the SpongeBob channels for the kids, otherwise I like what I'm seeing here!

4:13 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

An a la carte option like this would be great!

I'd take Bob's list and sub out Ovation (never was one for that much sustained applause--too modest) and sub in Cartoon Network, and Showtime for FLIX.

5:05 PM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

I would like to go a la carte for satellite too. I would like to see Encore and Starz on the list as well.There are lots of channels that I never watch. Too many to list.

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home