Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Aye!

Scottish voters are going to the polls today to decide whether to remain tied to the British crown or to become an independent country - and I'm glued to the Guardian coverage. I'm supporting the "Yes" campaign, largely due to its promise for creating a more social democratic nation not tied to the neo-liberal imperatives of Downing Street. I'd love to hear your two cents. Join the conversation here!

6 Comments:

Blogger manunitedrules said...

Ach Aye! The Auld enemy. You love em or hate them. I would love to it happen for different reasons than most. I would love to see Scotland prove they can be independent and succeed without England.My concerns are that they are currently too economically dependent on England and as a result have been given the short end of the stick financially. Scotland is in the midst of a severe recession, suffering socially and economically. My concern is if they have financial means to succeed independently . Can they improve the standard of living and tackle the high unemployment. I sure would live to see them succeed. I would love to hear other people's two cents or is it tupence worth?

12:18 AM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

The latest reports show that with 26 of 32 districts reporting that 54% have voted no to independence and 46% have voted yes.

12:26 AM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

Like you, I am disappointed to report that the Nay Campaign won 56% to 44%.

7:51 AM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

I was on the NO side so I was pleased
I don't think it would have been good for Scotland.
I was very impressed that over 85% of the eligible voters voted... 16 and 17 year olds were able to vote too and they took it very seriously

SEE YOU JIMMY!

2:33 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Absolutely! A tremendous day for the Scots regardless of the result. I'd love to see an 85% voter turnout for our elections.

Btw...can yer lend us a fiver 'til the weekend?

3:43 PM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

I agree. That kind of turnout is brilliant. ACH Ay, Jimmy.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home