Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Thursday, January 08, 2015

RAF MILDENHALL WILL BE NO MORE!!!



Hey Guys,


Just got a message this morning from Tony telling me that it was announced today that RAF Mildenhall will be closing in the near future and moving operations to Germany. He said so many businesses are going to be devastated by this news
I'm gutted....I know we aren't there any more but there are a lot of great memories
There will be no Mildenhall Forest crushing everyone who stood in front of them
Your thoughts


UWS

3 Comments:

Blogger United We Stand said...

The BBC article

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-30725366

11:34 AM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

Thanks you for the information.I am very saddened to hear that Mildenhall is closing. I lived in Mildenhall Village for a year and my dad worked there for six and a half years . I have many memories as well. I am sure that it will have a major impact on the local economy.

4:12 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Thanks for the post, UWS!

I just saw this on Facebook posted by a few LHS alums. I've got mixed feelings about it all. Of course RAF Mildenhall played a huge role in our childhood. However, with the Cold War long since over, the need for an American base there became less and less understandable.

Here's the Stars and Stripes coverage: http://www.stripes.com/news/europe/raf-mildenhall-to-close-amid-other-europe-consolidations-1.322825

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home