Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Pazz and Jop 2007


The Village Voice's annual Pazz and Jop music poll has been a February tradition in my house for many years. The premise is simple - hundreds of music crits across the country are polled and their favorites listed. Here's this year's Top Ten:

1) Bob Dylan - Modern Times

2) TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain

3) Ghostface Killah - Fishscale

4) The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America

5) Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere

6) Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

7) The Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury

8) Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood

9) Joanna Newsom - Ys

10) Tom Waits - Orphans

You can find the full results at: http://www.villagevoice.com/pazzandjop06/

2 Comments:

Blogger gooner71 said...

I'm not down at all with either Ghostface or the Clipse disc. I've soundboothed a bit of both of those records and there's nothing lyrically or sonically interesting at all.

But the Dylan record is worth a listen. The "Rollin' Tumblin'" and "Someday Baby" covers are outstanding.

Similarly, "Wolf Like Me" from the TV On The Radio record is a very catchy tune. I also like their Living Color vibe, a bunch of African-American musicians that totally rock out. I bet that they lay down a hell of a show. Bowie's favorite, btw.

I don't know how I feel about The Hold Steady. I have to say that I love "Stuck Between Stations" but I find myself thinking that this is such a direct lift of Thin Lizzy and Phil Lynott that it borders on copyright infringement.

Love the Gnarls Barkley and the Tom Waits disc.

But that Joanna Newsom record is annoying. That harp she's playing is just too weird and I completely tense up when her music is on.

I'll look for my favs on the extended list. Good post Bob!

5:33 PM  
Blogger gatorbob said...

There are a bit too many crit favorites on here for my liking. Dylan's disc was decent, but he's been getting the top of the Pazz and Jop for each disc in the past ten years. Enough already for the Bobster. If they were gonna honor an oldster, I'd have plumped for Neil Young who had the bottle to stick an anti-war record out that no one else did.

There's a lot more that I haven't absorbed yet; looking forward to having the time to read the essays some day.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home