Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Goals I Remember, Volume 9


One for the Gooner. Here's old Charlie George in all of his early 70s hirsute glory, burying the winner in the 1971 Cup Final. To be fair, Ray Clemence won't want to see that one again on the video, having failed to cover his near post.

Enjoy, lads.

4 Comments:

Blogger gooner71 said...

Sadly, this was scored before I got to England.

I've always thought of it as a late-in-the-game Wembley goal where the defenders are shattered from the running. I'm happy he scored it, mind.

Brings up a point. Did you read that crack on the Guardian podcast about Ray Clemence being a dodgy keeper? My memory is that I preferred him to Shilts and that it was Ron Greenwood's bloody-mindedness on keeping with Shilts that was one of the factors in England's wilderness years. That and effing King Kev choosing to fanny that header rather than just stick his head firmly on it.

8:52 PM  
Blogger gatorbob said...

Nah, I can't agree. I think Clemence and Shilts were equally good and that there were plenty of other good British keepers around in those days too - Phil Parkes and David Harvey just to name a couple.

That's in sharp contrast to today, when there is a better cadre of American keepers than English keepers. Honestly, beyond the wobbly Robbo and a couple of neophytes (Carson, Foster), who have you got? That's why bloody David James keeps getting back into the squad. Anybody else nervous about Saturday? It looks like McClown might go with Owen and Heskey up front - struth!

10:39 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

I agree with that Shilts and Clemence were both good. I was a Shilts fan!!!

6:57 AM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

I never forgave Shilts for Poland. I was crushed

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home