Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Friday, June 06, 2008

Euro 2008 Group D


One day to go before the tournament kickoff and it's time to talk about the last group:

Greece
Russia
Spain
Sweden

This is perhaps the most intriguing of all of the groups. Although I wasn't tremendously impressed by their outing against the U.S. on Wednesday, Spain are my pick to win the whole thing this time. Russia showed some moments of inspiration during the qualifiers and I'm tipping them to go through to the quarters in the second slot. But Sweden and Greece could provide real surprises. I really dislike the way that current holders Greece play under "King Otto" Rehhagel so I really hope that they get dumped out early.

3 Comments:

Blogger gooner71 said...

I just might support Spain this time if they look lively. If they choose to bottle it up in the group rounds, I may have to change allegiences.

I'm with you on the Greeks. I wouldn't like to see them progress any further than necessary. Same goes for the Russians.

I'd like Spain and Sweden from this one.

5:45 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

I also have Spain winning this one.
I think Russia might do something. Guus Hiddink gets teams right for a tournament.

So, Spain and Russia to go. This also makes England's demise more explainable.

9:27 PM  
Blogger gatorbob said...

That's true, Dave. If both Croatia and Russia qualify for the quarterfinals, it starts to make England's failure a bit more understandable, McClaren notwithstanding.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home