Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Bloody Confused - Chapter 17

Here I was killing some time before my SuperShuttle to the Tampa airport this afternoon, when I came across this nugget:

"I missed that year, even though Pompey featured in 1986-7 the first American to play in the Premiership, John Kerr..."

I was temporarily distracted by the surname Kerr before I remembered that the Kerrs who played at LHS were Jeff and Brian. Then I thought, "wasn't Harkesy the first Yank to play in the Premiership?" Sure enough, a little research turned up that Kerr, who's now a coach at Duke, was born in Toronto, which as far I know, is still in Canada.

Can anyone help me out with this one - was Harkesy the first?

5 Comments:

Blogger West Ham Rising said...

I know James and John Devereaux both played against Kerr when he was at Duke and their were at Baptist College (now Chareston College (or something similar). James said he was all pace, not much skill. He grew up in the states, not sure where he was born, but I'll give you Canada.

8:19 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

Kerr's too old to have played in the Premiership. I bet Culpepper's not making the distinction between the 1st Division and the Prem.

I seem to remember that he played in a US line-up at RFK that had the pre-Italia 90 line up of Hugo Perez and a whole lot of bruisers and rent-a-Yanks in it.

8:14 AM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

True - he specified that it was the 86/87 season, so that would put it squarely in the First Division era.

Thanks for clearing up the Kerr issue. What about Harkes - was he the first?

1:46 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

Bob, according to Wikipedia, Harkesy was the first Yank to play in the Prem.

10:15 AM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Cheers! I thought I was right. Now I can sleep well tonight knowing that I am still a master of esoteric footie trivia.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home