Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Monday, January 12, 2009

Pandora Radio


I finally got around to trying out Pandora internet radio, which Gooner and some other friends tipped me off to a while back, over the weekend. It is brilliant. Here's how it works:

Simply go to the site and fill out a typical registration process. Then type in a favorite music artist, click on "Create Radio Station" and you're done. The little genie in the site just keeps picking tunes that are in the same vein until you shut it off. If you've got the time, you can indicate each track that you like and dislike and bookmark certain tangential artists, albums and songs, all of which makes the selection more fine-tuned.

I tried it out on some notoriously idiosyncratic artists and found the system to be just about unerring in its taste. For example, my "Tom Waits Station" produced the likes of Dr. John, Howlin' Wolf, Leon Redbone, Rickie Lee Jones and Dylan.

Try it out at:

http://www.pandora.com

Happy listening!

4 Comments:

Blogger Bivalve88 said...

I also tried it today, plugged in some obscure-ish classical composers and the site nailed it. Awesome!!! I'm hooked.

7:08 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Cool, I'm glad it's working out for you. I tried it out in the classroom tonight. Back in the dark ages, I used to lug a boombox in and play some music while the class was arriving. I like it for setting the mood. Anyway, it worked like a charm. I had a bit of Brad Mehldau tinkling away while they came in and they really enjoyed it.

9:34 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

It's also a pretty cool tool to help find obscure b-side covers that you hadn't heard before too.

glad you're digging this.

11:08 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Yeah, I'm finding that the Massive Attack and Thievery Corp "stations" are pulling up obscure remixes that then get plugged straight into the music blog aggregator.

Cheers!

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home