Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Juliet, Naked - Final Thoughts

Well, I finally finished "Juliet" last night and I have to admit that I'm a wee bit disappointed. Without giving away the ending - in case the Gooner hasn't finished yet - I found it a bit of a damp squib. I suppose that I went into the book thinking that it would center on Duncan's obsession with this washed-up rocker. There are loads of questions buzzing around in my head about that relationship - e.g., why do most creative people have a short burst of inspiration and then years of nothing? - and Hornby seemed the ideal novelist to tackle these. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for another relationship-based novel this fall? I don't know; but certainly "Juliet, Naked" doesn't come close to knocking "High Fidelity" off my pedestal. How about the rest of you?

5 Comments:

Blogger Someone Said said...

The ambiguous ending left me rather indifferent. He shifted the main focus of the book and it did not impress. It did not make me throw the book across the room or feel like I wasted my time, unlike the latest by Pat Conroy

He's done better though.

12:25 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Uh oh - tell me more about Conroy's latest. It was on my list to tackle this fall. Should I not bother?

1:18 PM  
Blogger Someone Said said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Someone Said said...

My thoughts on South of Broad

http://theblogofmystery.blogspot.com/2009/09/yelling-at-book-to-make-it-stop.html

1:23 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Thanks, Someone. That was a good read and I enjoyed looking around your blog. Cheers.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home