Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Music of the 2009

That wise old man of Britpop Jarvis Cocker recently summed up the decade in music with one word - "Shuffle." I couldn't agree more. While there were certainly a number of albums that caught my ear this year - notably, Polish jazz pianist Marcin Wasilewski's "January," Brazilian dude Curumin's "JapanPopShow," Melody Gardot's second album "My One and Only Thrill," Maxwell's return to form with with "Blacksummer'snight, Kat Edmonson's "Take to the Sky," Neko Case's "Middle Cyclone" and the AIDS benefit double-disc "Dark Was the Night" - my listening habits are now firmly anchored by the experience of the "playlist" rather than the "CD" (to say nothing of the long lamented "LP").

Indeed, the most gratifying musical experiences I had this year were in putting together a bewildering number of iTunes playlists based on my latest whims. While last year was dominated by a certain beardy folk introspection, it seemed as if a lot of the my favorite artists this year were determined to dance while the world was collapsing around them. Most of the tunes that caught my ear were relentlessly upbeat and danceable, including: Franz Ferdinand's "Ulysses," Passion Pit's "Little Secrets,
Phoenix's "Lisztomania," Peaches' "Talk to Me," The Phenomenal Handclap Band's "You'll Disappear, Animal Collective's "My Girls" and St. Vincent - "The Strangers."

The folkies didn't exactly disappear and I enjoyed Bon Iver's "Blood Bank" EP, J. Tillman's latest solo disc, Jeff Tweedy's duet with Feist on "You and I," Pete Yorn's "Don't Wanna Cry," Bonnie "Prince" Billy's "Afraid Ain't Me," Alexi Murdoch's soundtrack for "Away we Go" and many more.

I'm still getting a lot of my music tips from podcasts, including most notably NPR's "All Songs Considered" and the Guardian Unlimited's "Music Weekly" and I have thank the Gooner again for hipping me to a lot of my favorite sounds of the year. As usual, I look forward to hearing what's been in your earbuds this year.

7 Comments:

Blogger Someone Said said...

Yes, shuffle and playlist have taken over from the word CD or album. Here's what I've been listening to this year.

http://theblogofmystery.blogspot.com/2009/12/2009-music.html

3:25 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

Bob, I purchased fewer records than I did last year too. For me it's all about building up the playlists.

My best of '09 would include
The Menahem Street Bands "Make The Road By Walking"
Curumin's "Compacto"
The Lodger's "Good Old Days"
Yeah,Yeah,Yeah's "Zero"
Apes and Android's "Nights Of The Week"
Phoenix's "Lisztomania"
The Alarmists' "Car Crashing"
The Decemberist's "The Wanting Comes In Waves/Repaid"
Biffy Clyro's "The Captain"
The Thermals' "Now We Can See"
Neko Case's "People Got A Lot Of Nerve"
Clem Snide's "Me No"
Deerhunter's "Agoraphobia"
The Horrors' "Sea Within A Sea"
School of Seven Bells' "Conjur"
Wye Oak's "Siamese"
Wussy's "Muscle Cars"
My Morning Jacket's "El Caporal"
The Dead Weather's "So Far From Your Weapon"

5:14 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Thanks for the posts, lads. I agree with you on Charlotte Gainsbourg, Someone. But, like you, I prefer my memory of her in "The Silence of Sleep" rather than the disturbing things I've heard about her in Lars von Trier's latest.

No so on Zooey Deschanel. I'm over her completely. I was sucked into her wily charms early on but since "500 Days of Summer" I see her as a 50s housewife fantasy for emo guys.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Someone Said said...

The trailer to Antichrist made me uneasy enough!

500 Days was that bad? I need a twenty something multi media crush object though, and it's not going to be Lily Allen :)

5:12 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

I feel you on that, Someone. And sadly Kristen Stewart - who definitely had some promise in that department - has been lost to the teen vampire crowd. How are you with Feist?

5:14 AM  
Blogger Someone Said said...

I like Feist enough, she's 33 though ;)

9:17 AM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

I'm an old fart, so 33 still seems young to me.

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home