Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Thursday, July 08, 2010

World Cup Predictions Game Semis Update

It's around this time every WC cycle that I start feeling a bit down about the prospect of only two matches left and then a yawning gap of four years until Brasil 2014. Ah well - we've still got the Predictions Game to update. Here are the current standings:

1. Matthew - 45 points (2 teams left in the tournament)
2. Chelskilad - 41 points (2 teams left)
3. Thomas - 39 points (1 team left)
4. Blubber Boy - 37 points (1 team left)
5. Someone Said - 37 points (1 team left)
6. Jonathan - 36 points (1 team left)
7. Simon Burke - 36 points (1 team left)
8. AZ Kicker - 35 points (1 team left)
9. United We Stand - 35 points (1 team left)
10. Yellows - 34 points (1 team left)
11. Blue Devil - 33 points (1 team left)
12. Gooner71 - 33 points (1 team left)
13. ManUtd Rules - 29 points (1 team left)
14. West Ham Rising - 24 points (0 teams left - sorry!)
15. Kathy - 19 points (0 teams left - sorry!)

12 Comments:

Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Just to clarify the Golden Boot situation, David Villa and Wesley Sneijder are both on 5 goals, so I won't assign the 10 points unless there is a clear winner.

Also, Diego Forlan and Thomas Mueller (both on 4 goals) meet in the 3rd/4th game, so they also have a shout.

8:13 PM  
Blogger West Ham Rising said...

Surely, this can't be right.

11:25 AM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

Klose is also on four goals, but I heard that he is injured and will not be able to participate in the 3rd/4th place game. This is a pity as he will not be have to chance to be the all time leading scorer in the World Cup. This must be his last tournament.

12:42 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

So, how could these standings change?
How many points for the Champion?
I think Matthew and Chelskilad both chose Holland so that is a wash

I like the standings though... Three Nocitos in the top three!!!

12:47 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

The reason that I dropped so precipitously is that Sneijder tied up the Golden Boot race with Villa in the semis so I lost that ten point advantage. I'm hoping that David will do the biz so that I can add the ten points again.

The points situation again is this:

2 points for each Group of 16 winner
4 points for each Quarterfinal winner
6 points for each Semifinal winner
8 points for the correct champion
10 points for the Golden Boot.

1:02 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

Where is Blubber Boy's predictions?
I only have his group picks

5:14 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

According to my calculations
Matt could score 45, 53, 55 or 63
Chelskilad could score 41 or 49 (can't be Matt though, if he gets the points so will Matt)
Thomas could 49 and beat Matt(if Villa doesn't win the GB)
Simon B. can't catch Matt
Bob can't catch Matt
SS cant get 47
Am I right?

5:19 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Yes, you're the math teacher after all. I won't argue with your numbers. I haven't worked out all of the machinations quite yet, but I don't think Matthew can be caught.

5:52 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

Oh, I beg to differ!
If he gets no points with a Spanish win and Sneijder goal then Thomas could pass him with a Spanish title
Anyone else with a GB chance can pass him too.

9:39 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

Jonathan has Spain and Germany coming in third.... 10 points there!!

9:40 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

I'll say it again - you're the math teacher so I'll defer to you on the numbers. This morning, I was in the supermarket before my first cup of coffee and got $50 cash back. When the kid at the till asked what denominations I wanted, I said "Two twenties and two tens." Oops!

So, I'll rely on you to check my math.

10:33 AM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

Did he correct the mistake or did you make a $10 profit?

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home