Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

You are Don Fabio!

Alright, chaps - it's time to play our favorite game: "You are the England Manager." We've got two matches coming up - one, a vital Euro 2012 qualifier with Wales; and two, a useless friendly with Ghana. You've got John Terry back in the fold as your skipper.

Who else would you pick from this lot?

Goalkeepers: Ben Foster, Robert Green, Joe Hart.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Joleon Lescott, John Terry, Kyle Walker.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Stewart Downing, Matthew Jarvis, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Jack Wilshere, Ashley Young.

Forwards: Darren Bent, Andy Carroll, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Blue Devil said...

News out of Blighty this morning has Gareth Bale pulling out of Saturday's clash with a hammy injury and Gunners youngster Aaron Ramsey assuming the captaincy of Wales.

1:19 PM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

Since I am the England manager, I will pick a different lineup than Don Fabio would.
Joe Hart to start in goal because who else would anyone in their right mind start.
Back four: I would like to mention that if I were England manager than JT would not have made my squad, but I guess he will start since he is the skipper. When will a mutiny occur? The starters are Johnson,Terry, Cahill, and Baines.
Midfield: Lennon , Wilshere, Parker,and Ashley Young. My reasoning is that I am the manager so the other rubbish can sit on the bench.
Forwards: Crouch and Dafoe. Roon will not even come on as a sub, not even in a cameo role.
This is my lineup for the Euro qualifier in Cardiff.After looking at the squad my first thought is now wonder why England don't win major tournaments. I will post a separate comment for the Ghana match.

7:50 PM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

I will give some of the young / inexperienced players a chance against Ghana.

Goalkeeper: Joe Hart.Green will come on at halftime to prove to me that his recent form at West Ham is not a fluke.

Back Four: Walker, Terry, Lescott, Baines. Dawson and Jagielka will be the central pairing in the second half.

Midfield: Downing, Jarvis, Wilshere, A Young. Milner and Parker will get some playing time in the second half.

Forwards : Bent and Carroll. I will look at how the match is progressing to see which forward will come on in the second half.

7:58 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

I agree with MUR's premise and generally with his choices. For the qualifier with Wales:

Hart, Johnson, Dawson, Terry, Cole, Parker, Wilshere, Lennon (right), Young (left), Crouch, Defoe.

And for Ghana:

Foster, Baines, Dawson, Cahill, Walker, Jarvis, Milner (right), Lampard, Rooney, Carroll, Defoe.

10:17 AM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

I'd resign!!

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home