Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Complete the Python Quote!

In order to stifle the mid-summer doldrums, I thought I'd start a new Python quiz thread. Here are the directions:

"For each of the following Python classics, complete the quote. For full points, name the Python sketch in which the line pops up."

1. "And I've just heard from Luton that..."

2. "Well Bruce, I heard the Prime Minister use it."

3. "You were lucky to have a lake!"

4. "I took the liberty of examining that parrot, and I discovered that...."

5. "Can you imagine what it's like cutting the same head for five years? I didn't want to be a barber anyway."

6. "Telephone, Mr Hilter. It's Mr McGoering from the Bell and Compasses. He says...."

7. "Good morning. I'm sorry to have kept you waiting, but I'm afraid my walk has become rather sillier recently, and so...."

8. "Dinsdale says 'I hear you've been a naughty boy Clement' and...."

9. "Uhh, the tenants arrive in the entrance hall here, are carried along the corridor on a conveyor belt in extreme comfort and past murals depicting Mediterranean scenes...."

10. "'ow should I know which zoo it's from?!? I'm not...."

11. "There's nothing so odd about that. Kemel Attaturk had...."

12. "Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your Spam."

13. "Well, it's funny you should ask that, because I've just been reading a great big book about how to put your budgie down, and apparently...."

14. "Shut your festering gob, you tit! Your type really makes me puke, you..."

15. "Well ladies and gentlemen, I don't think any of our contestants this evening have succeeded in encapsulating the intricacies of Proust's masterwork, so...."

16. "Kolour. Oh that's very good...."

17. "All brontosauruses are thin at one end...."

18. "Your Majesty is like a dose of clap - before you arrive is pleasure, and after is...."

19. "One old flay-rod has apparently...."

20. And I thought to myself, 'a little fermented curd will do the trick', so...."

Good luck!

9 Comments:

Blogger gooner71 said...

1-... that my aunt is ill - General Election

3:53 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

That's your starter for ten, Gooner.

How about the rest of you lot - any others that you know?

6:33 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

I know A LOT OF THEM!!
not word for word but...
sorry if some of the words are made up by my failing memory but...

3. We had to live a box in middle of road.... cardboard box... Aye, you were lucky!
Four Yorkshire-man

4. The only reason that it was perched was that it had been nailed there!
Parrot Sketch

5. I've always wanted to be a Lumberjack!
sketch before the Lumberjack

7. it takes me longer to get to work in the mornings
Ministry of Silly Walks

8. He nailed my head to floor
The Piranha Brothers

9 The rotating knives
The Architect

10 Dr. Bloody Benofski
Penguin on the TV Set

11. an entire menagerie called Argdyle
Fish License

12 I love spam
The Spam sketch

13. you either hit them with the book...
some ladies in a Laundromat about going on holiday

14 vacuous toffee nosed, mad odorous pervert(who knows what they say)
The Argument

17 and much much thicker at the other
Miss Elk

11:24 PM  
Blogger Bivalve88 said...

#2 "S'hot enough to boil a monkey's bum in here your Majesty, he said, and she smiled quietly to herself." The Bruces

#16 "What a silly bunt." Man who can't say the letter "c".

Ah, hate to correct you Gooner, but the quote of #17 is "much, MUCH thicker in the middle, and then thin again at the far end".

#19 "gone out of skew on treadle." from the Spanish Inquisition.

#20 is "I curtailed my Walpoling activities, sallied forth and infiltrated your place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some cheesy comestibles." Cheese Shop.

9:57 AM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

You had to correct me, not Gooner, and I stand corrected... well done

10:19 AM  
Blogger Bivalve88 said...

Sorry, UWS!

11:45 AM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Well done, folks. Let's go through them one at a time, as these lines were carefully crafted by Cleese, Palin, Chapman, Idle and the Terrys.

* Bivalve is spot on with #2 from "The Bruces."

* UWS spotted "The 4 Yorkshireman," but here's the full quote:

"There were a hundred and fifty of us, living in a shoebox in the middle of the road!"

* UWS got #4 - "The Parrot Sketch"

"...and I discovered that the only reason that it had been sitting on its perch in the first place was that it had been nailed there."

* UWS is spot on with the intro to "The Lumberjack Song."

* UWS again was correct with "The Ministry of Silly Walks" for #7.

* UWS spotted #8 as "The Piranha Brothers" but the line is much, much longer and funnier:

"...and he splits me nostrils open and saws me leg off and pulls me liver out and I tell him my name's not Clement and then... he loses his temper and nails me head to the floor."

* UWS was correct with #10, which is known as "Burma!" believe it or not. It's one of my favorites - whenever I'm asked an obscure question, I'll either claim that I'm not "Doctor bloody Bernofsky" or just yell out "Burma!" because I've panicked.

* UWS got #11 as "The Fish License" but Kemel Attaturk's menagerie was all called "Abdul."

* UWS got #12 as "Spam" of course. After saying that he loves Spam, Idle goes on to say, "I'm having Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam....baked bean Spam, Spam, Spam...." before being informed that "baked beans are off."

* UWS also got #13 just about right although the full explanation of how to put your budgie down is "you can either hit them with the book, or you can shoot them just there, just above the beak." And the sketch is sadly called "Burying the Cat."

* UWS got #14 right as "The Argument Sketch." Presumably you've been criticizing friends as "vacuous" and "malodorous" for many years.

* Bivalve got the line correct for #16 - it's the beginning of "The Travel Agent" sketch.

* Bivalve corrected UWS well for #17 - "Miss Anne Elk"

* Bivalve got the intro to "The Spanish Inquisition" spot on for #19.

* Finally, Bivalve got the quote from "The Cheese Shop" so incredibly accurately that either she's just watched that episode again on her full set of Python vids or enjoys re-enacting the sketch with her kids. In that case - "Shut that bloody bazouki up!"



*

11:58 AM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

We're still looking for answers to #s 6, 9, 15, and 18.

Thanks for playing!

12:00 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

#6... I know the sketch. They call themselves them something else... don't know what though
#9 I said about this one being the The Architect Sketch
The Rotating Knives...

#15 I know it is the Proust sketch. Proust in his first book, in his first, in his first...

I remember.... so I am going to award the prize to the girl with biggest t&*ts!

#18 Oscar Wilde sketch but after is a pain in the ?

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home