Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Friday, November 14, 2014

The Blatter endorsed Whitewash

I didn't have the confidence to believe that FIFA has the integrity to police itself so this whitewashed report is a disappointment but not a surprise. I'm past believing that FIFA is flawed, because flawed solely implies incompetence. The longer FIFA drags this out, the more I believe people will realize that this is something altogether smellier than mere incompetence. Money has switched hands, corruption is rife, and as Simon Burke says, it's damaging their marquee tournament's reputation among the fans. I'll probably have to wait longer to watch Sepp take the perp-walk in irons from his office to waiting squad car, but would also accept him in fugitive status, after boarding an Aeroflot jet and so that he can spend the rest of his dismal life with Snowdon in the VIP lounge at Sherametyevo Airport. 2022 is a long way off, but if FIFA and the odious Blatter are not brought before the beak, will I bother to expend the energy I customarily do following it? Possibly not.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Thanks for posting this thread, mate. I think that 2022 may be a watershed moment when footie fans rise up against the FIFA overlords if they try to shove a winter World Cup down our throats. They may get away with Russia but Qatar in December is a bridge too far.

9:47 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/15/fifa-uefa-world-cup-germany-football

8:47 AM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

I just read the link a. FIFA and ethics are like oil and water. They have an ethics committee? I think that 2022 could be a watershed moment even if the WC is held in the summer. I'm with Gooner that 2022 may do it for me as far as watching the World Cup. I might boycott 2022 and am not thrilled about 2018. I hope UEFA follow Germany's proposal and break away from FIFA. Blatter needs to resign, but is there really anybody with a shred of dignity that will succeed him. I doubt it. FIFA needs to be rebuilt from the ground up or else the future of world football is in jeopardy. Will this result in each confederation being separate entities that don't do anything on a global basis? I hope 2022 forces the downfall of FIFA and something better is built from the ground up.

12:11 AM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/2146377/fifa-issues-can-only-be-fixed-by-widespread-actions-by-the-fans

The above link is another point of view.

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home