Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Wednesday, February 04, 2015

New Hornby!

Hurrah! As luck would have it, when I ducked into the bookstore at the Buffalo Airport this morning to pick up a quick read for my trip to Austin this week, what did I find but a brand spanking new novel from the LOB's favorite writer Nick Hornby. As a Hornby completist, I'm ashamed to say that this one snuck up on me - I hadn't heard a a Dickie Bird about it before I saw it on the shelves this morning. It's his first full work since "Juliet, Naked," which we read together here on the LOB.

After ploughing through the first 100 pages, I can report that it is a must-read for anyone - and this is all of us, naturally - who grew up watching 60s and 70s telly in the UK. It's the story of one Barbara Parker, a Miss Blackpool winner in 1964 (a good year) whose main goal is to be the UK's answer to Lucille Ball. Her story of life at the BBC is chock-full of references to the likes of the Hancock Half Hour, The Goons, Arthur Askey, and 'Til Death Us Do Part." Pick it up immediately!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home