Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Sunday, December 24, 2006

My Favorite Music of '06




I've been trading this list with Bob-san for a few years.

For a start, this was the year of the iPod for me. I bought one and immediately understood why the CD format is largely dead. I always thought that I wanted a CD as a tangible object to have, and because of that was willing to wade through a lot of filler to get those 5-or-6 must have songs. With a MP3 player and access to a music service like iTunes or whatnot, you can pay for exactly what you want, and leave the contractual obligation stuff behind. Whether that's going to have a chilling effect on music in the future is an open question. Certainly what it means is that I'm going to download songs from any future British Sea Power, Franz Ferdinand, Killers, and any other bands that came blasting out with dynamite debuts followed by poor sophomore efforts.


What makes sense to me this year is to list the songs that really knocked me out as well as my records of the year.

My Song list:

Crazy -- Gnarls Barkley - Hands down, the song of the year. It's great pop music expertly done.

Devil Town -- Tony Lucca - This is a really cool cover that was played over an emotional scene in NBC's "Friday Night Lights." It's a Daniel Johnson song and I haven't found a recording, but this is an excellent tune.

Mount Wroclai(Idle Days) -- Beirut - A 19 year old American takes an Eastern-European folk-song and recasts it as a waltz with a choral overdub with accordian and tamborine and skittery percussion. It's admittedly a "What The Hell?" experience, but in a good way. Oh yes, a very good way.

Songbird -- Willie Nelson - I love Willie, but I would have to say that he may not be able to write those killer songs anymore. Is it the dope or that he's over 70 now? Never mind. He still can get it done by covering this Fleetwood Mac chestnut. Sorry Christine McVie, Willie's version is now the standard.

Throw It All Away -- Zero 7 - A great swingy and warm late night electronic frolic.

Such Great Heights -- The Postal Service - Once in a while, when your 14 year-old is watching something on the WB, you stop and say "hey, what's that playing in this scene?" Warm and approachable emo. It's a guilty pleasure as is...

Someone Great -- LCD Soundsystem - Opens like Kraftwerk and turns into Belle and Sebastian.

Put Your Records On -- Corinne Bailey Rae - This has the same addictive quality that Nelly Furtado's "I'm Like A Bird" had. You'll play this over and over.

Honorable mentions go to Zuco 103 for "Love Is Queen Omega", Apollo Nove for "86", Sukhwinder Singh for "Chaiyya Chaiyya", Regina Spektor for "Fidelity", Belle Orchestre for "Throw It On A Fire", The Flaming Lips for "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah Song", and the Raconteurs for "Steady As She Goes."

There are still artists doing things that I want to reward by buying the whole cd. But they are becoming fewer and fewer as I get (sigh) older and older.


Cibelle -- The Shine Of Electric Dried Leaves -- Here's why. Cibelle put out the most interesting debut Brazilian record assisted by her Serbian producer Suba. Suba then dies in a horrific apartment fire in Sao Paolo and she moves to London. Her sophomore effort has less of a Brazilian Electro-Bossa flavor and more of a Massive-Attack feeling that really works. She did a free show in Washington that was spell-binding.

Marisa Monte -- Infinito Particular and Universo Ao Meu Redor -- Another Brazilian. She's a very established and celebrated artist who's been taking off some time with her new baby. But evidently, she's been writing all that time and had a back-log of songs. And at the same time, she was listening to classic Brazilian tunes from the 30's-40's-and-50's and has released a record of her covers of these songs.

Bill Frisell -- Unspeakable -- A departure of sorts for Bill. His new band is harder, funkier, and though some of these are new versions of old Frisell songs, they're reborn in these new arrangements.

Booker T and the MGs -- Stax Profiles(Selected by Elvis Costello) -- You've heard "Green Onions" enough times for a lifetime, but not a live version from some sweaty dump of a club. And I bet you've never heard the Indian Stomp that is "Fuquawi." Costello has the nous and taste to pick just the right recordings to ensure a fresh experience.

Trojan Ska Revival Box -- Bad Manners, The Selector, The Coventry Automatics who became The Specials doing live and up-tempo versions of those classic songs. Huge nostalgia for those of us who lived through that late seventies revival.

Konono #1 -- Congotronics -- These guys play trance music on thumb pianos, home-made xylophones, and masses of drums all played through PA systems powered by car batteries. It's indescribably weird and their show in DC was probably my favorite concert of the year.


I was able to complete a "Holy Grail" quest this year when I finally tracked down the definitive collection of Sparks tunes called Profile. It has been o-o-p for about 7 years and any time it showed on Ebay, nutter collectors like me swarmed on it and unlike me, bid the 2-disc set above $100. Finally, a set with water damaged inserts finally showed up and stayed in my price range.

The most interesting development that I've seen this year is the International Mix-Tape Project. There's a guy here in DC that's organizing an international swap of music. The concept is once a month, he emails you an address of someone in the system somewhere. Your job is to burn a cd with what's interesting to you and then send it to that address. In return, someone in the system is sent your name and is charged with burning a mix for you. I'm waiting for my first assignment and I'll let you know how this works out.

Another tip is to sign up for WFMU's email "A Blast Of Hot Air." It's a monthly guide to the odd and weird, but how else are you going to find 9-year-old Troy, the Electric Boy's "Electro 1000" or a song from Brian Eno's early band The Winkies called "The Paw-Paw Negro Blowtorch?" The latter sounds like Brian Ferry on speed.

That's enough from me. I'm interested in what you're listening to and what your teenagers are listening to. Let's be having ya.

9 Comments:

Blogger gooner71 said...

I forgot one. Vas-y Titi by Francky Vincent from Guadeloupe.

It's a galloping tribute to TH14 and one of the best football related songs ever.

Davey, say the word and I'll burn this one for you.

2:29 PM  
Blogger gatorbob said...

Itunes has turned me into a fifteen year old again – at least in my listening habits. For decades now, I’ve consumed music in album form and considered auteurship as the epitome of musical expression. But like most of my students, I began to forgo the full-album format this year in favor of individual – yes, probably ephemeral – pop songs that got stuck in my head. Here are some of them:

1) Neil Young – “Living with War” – In this title track from his anti-Iraq War opus, Neil said what most were feeling but said out loud – “I’m living with war in my heart every day.”

2) Gnarls Barkley – “Crazy” – The single of the year. The pairing of DJ Danger Mouse and helium-voiced singer Cee-Lo was genius. They’re “St. Elsewhere” album was also one of the most satisfying of the year.

3) Cat Power – “The Greatest” – Chan Marshall has her “Dusty in Memphis” moment, marrying her indie-rock voice and sensibilities to Southern soul musicianship.

4) Sergio Mendes (with Black Eyed Peas) – “Mas Que Nada” – The song of the World Cup, which will always remind me of the “Jogo Bonito” promise rather than the actual drab results of championships.

5) Corinne Bailey Rae – Put Your Records On – In a year of r&b dominated by the crunk sound, it was a pleasure to have this lilting soul song stuck in my head.

6) The Raconteurs – “Steady as She Goes” – Jack White took a break from the spare sound of the White Stripes and fleshed out his ideas with the benefit of a full rock band.

7) Diana Krall – “Come Dance with Me” – On her “From this Moment On” CD, Krall’s middle-register voice was overpowered by the big band arrangements, but this standard showed her crisp phrasing off perfectly.

8) Lily Allen – “Smile” – British phenom Allen delivered one of the most satisfying pop nuggets in this reggae tinged song.

9) Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint – “The River in Reverse” – An angry and poignant new song by Costello about Katrina backed ably by New Orleans great Toussaint and his band.

10) The Decemberists – “Crane Wife 3” – Prog rock made a big comeback this year with bands like TV on the Radio; this striking single represented the best of that overblown art rock trend.

11) Tiefschwartz (with Tracey Thorn) – “Damage” – Not the strongest song but a welcome return for Tracey. She’ll have a new solo album out in the New Year.

12) Brad Mehldau – “August Ending” – His latest album of original tunes “House on the Hill was a disappointment, but “August Ending” was a minor key gem.

Notable Others:
Beth Orton – “Conceived”
Floetry (with Common) – “Superstar”
Yeah Yeah Yeahs – “Gold Lion”
Bob Dylan – “Spirit on the Water”
Cassandra Wilson – “It Would Be So Easy”
The Flaming Lips – “Haven’t Got a Clue”
The Coup – “My Favorite Mutiny”
Lisa Bassenge – “Can’t Get You Out of My Head
Prince – “Black Sweat”
John Legend – “Save Room”
Lupe Fiasco (with Jill Scott) – “Daydreaming”

Worst Song of 2006
Gwen Stefani – “Wind it Up” – Built around a sample from “The Sound of Music.” Need I say more?

As Gooner suggested, I'm ready to share this music with all and sundry. Just give me the word.

4:20 PM  
Blogger gatorbob said...

I'll have a bit of that Tony Lucca, Willie Nelson, Zero 7, Zuco 103, TPS, LCD Soundsystem and as much of the Cibelle as you feel like sending, Father Christmas!

10:35 AM  
Blogger gatorbob said...

Sir Trev, I'll put a disc together for you, no problem. I'd love a disc of those Sufjan Stevens Christmas tunes. Maybe a sample of the best stuff? Cheers.

11:42 AM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

Me too Johnno. I'll send you a real cat frightener. Happy Christmas to all of you and thanks for your card.

5:32 PM  
Blogger gatorbob said...

Boy, were you ever right about Willie Nelson's version of "Songbird." Absolutely gorgeous. I've had a grudging admiration for the Mac for a few years, mainly on the strength of Christine McVie and Lindsay Buckingham's stellar songwriting skills. I wasn't sure that an old crusty like Willie could cut it on such a delicate song, but it's marvelous. Even KC - who's a huge Mac fan - loves it.

2:38 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

Boy, if the anti-twang KC likes it, that's saying something. I have to say that it's one of my most played iPod songs.

8:17 AM  
Blogger gatorbob said...

Hey, one mystery song for you. I just saw a promo for that "Friday Night Lights" on NBC and it had a really cool song with a striking vocal line that went something like "When I was a young boy/my father took me to the city/to see a marching band." Any ideas who that is?

11:05 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

I think you're referring to My Chemical Romance's "Welcome To The Black Parade."

They're on Eric's playlist but I can't tell you how he knows about them. Probably something he picked up at school.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home