Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Saturday, December 01, 2007

1000 Albums To Hear Before You Die.




Fellas, I asked my Mom to collect this series of 5 articles from the Guardian. Their music critics pick their favorite 1000 records.

I knew I was in the right place when I started reading and they had chosen not to rank them, just list them in alphabetical order.

This is not some limp, self-congratulatory, Rolling Stone puff piece where you're pointed yet again towards a top three of Sgt. Pepper's, Exile on Main Street, and the Freewheelin' Bob Dylan.

Oh-no, this is the real deal for anyone who wants to expand their regular listening habits. I've just read through the A's for instance and these critics can recommend the quintessential Abyssinians record for those of you that know that one song off the Harder They Come Soundtrack. This is a list unafraid to say that A-ha's Hunting High And Low is "beautifully skewed" and that "melancholic pop abounds throughout" the record. And they rated AC/DC's Powerage higher than Back In Back, a view that I personally hold myself.

This list is a keeper for the ages. Go get it HERE

2 Comments:

Blogger gatorbob said...

That's some amazing stuff. Thanks for the post, Gooner. Just for a quick test, I went to Tom Waits - I figured that I have no idea what the best Holger Czukay LP is - but I've got a handle on Tom after listening to him for twenty years and sure enough they picked "Swordfishtrombones" - one of my faves.

Also very cool to see single albums chosen for artists that I have greatest hits collections of. For example, I've had a compilation of Barry White's stuff for a while that I torture KC with whenever I'm "in the mood" but I'm definitely going to check out their recommendation of "Stone Gon'" which I've never even heard of. Five tracks of extended Barry - sounds incredible! Cheers!

7:19 PM  
Blogger West Ham Rising said...

This is why I'm a dedicated fan of this blog . . . Great post Gooner . . . The nailed Rush's best . . .

Rush
2112 (1976)
Of course it's preposterous. What album featuring a 20-minute sci-fi "suite" somehow inspired by Ayn Rand couldn't be. But who could hate Rush? You can't make this sort of thing without knowing you'll be mocked for it. And there's real grandeur amid the pomposity. Think of it as a rock stately home.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home