Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bloody Confused - Chapter 3

It's difficult for any writer on the contemporary game to avoid being compared to Nick Hornby; "Fever Pitch" is still the touchstone for footie literature, as Culpepper is smart to acknowledge. This debt is most evident in Chapter 3 in which Culpepper finally gets inside a Premiership ground and encounters an English crowd in all its glory.

Like Culpepper, I still marvel at the singing at European games, which is so much more romantic and poetic than the monosyllabic "Re-vo-lu-tion" chanting you get at most MLS matches. That a Cuban revolutionary song can morph into "One Tony Currie - there's only one Tony Currie" is magical. I'm not quite sure what song Culpepper is referencing when he mentions "You Are My Sunshine," though. Anyone else know?

Like Hornby, he's shocked by the language; I did enjoy the point he made about "stadium language" vs. normal language. But here's Hornby on the same issue:

"It wasn't the size of the crowd that impressed me most, however, or the way that adults were allowed to shout the word 'WANKER' as loudly as they wanted without attracting any attention. What impressed me most was just how much most of the men around me hated, really hated, being there."

With this deft passage, Hornby cuts deeper than the question of manners to speak to the bittersweet relationship we've all had with the game over the years. Now, that's poetry.

2 Comments:

Blogger United We Stand said...

The only "You Are My Sunshine" is sung by United.

You are my Solskjear, my Ole Solskjaer. You make me happy, when skies are gray. You're never boring, you just keep scoring. Please don't take my Solkjaer away.

If you want it sung to you, you will have to Skype me!

11:05 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Thanks for the offer but I'll stick with your explanation. That's a good 'un for sure. It doesn't quite explain what tune Culpepper heard at a match between Newcastle and Wigan, though.

I do love the specific instances of club fans latching onto popular tunes in order to serenade specific players. My favorite example is from the Arsenal songbook for Sylvain Wiltord:

"You're Sylvain...
You probably think this song is about you.
You're Sylvaaaaaain...."

Cheers, mate!

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home