Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Pick Your England XI

Alright, lads. England have the small matter of a match against Kazakhstan on Saturday. Who would you have in the starting eleven?

Goalkeepers: James (Portsmouth), Green (West Ham), Carson (West Brom).

Defenders: Brown (Manchester United), Johnson (Portsmouth), Terry (Chelsea), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Lescott (Everton), Upson (West Ham), A Cole (Chelsea), Bridge (Chelsea).

Midfielders: Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Walcott (Arsenal), Barry (Aston Villa), Jenas (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Downing (Middlesbrough), Wright-Phillips (Manchester City).

Strikers: Heskey (Wigan), Crouch (Portsmouth), Rooney (Manchester United), Defoe (Portsmouth).

6 Comments:

Blogger United We Stand said...

This is my line up
James

In the back,
Cole, Lescott and Ferdinand... we don't need four at the back for Saturday

Middies,
Walcott, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard and Wright-Phillips

Up Top
Rooney and Crouch

SO, WHAT DO YOU THINK?

8:51 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Not, Calamity! No, Dave, you're having a laugh, surely! Definitely Rob Green in between the posts.

Other than that, I agree. Three in the back against Borat's lads. Crouch is on fire these days - why not have him up front. Still wish Mikey were in the squad.

9:03 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

Did you see Green's mistakes last weekend!!!
The first two goals were all him!!

Personally, RP Gumby could play in goal and it shouldn't make a difference.

9:15 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

Of course, you do know we will still have a holding midfielder!!!

9:26 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

I've got a bit of football lodged in me head!

9:26 AM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

I too would look to the future with my selection against the hapless Kazakhs.

I'd go for Green first, Carson second, and James as a last resort, simply because getting games in is not going to make James a more confident keeper. It would the other two.

I don't think we need 4 at the back either, and I like the idea of dropping Terry so I'll agree with Dave's 3, albeit with trepidation about Lescott, simply because I don't remember if Everton play 3 with him in the center. I don't get the impression that his footballing is of a standard that you can easily take him out of his comfort zone.

I'd set the midfield with Walcott on the right, Barry, and Gerrard in the middle, and Downing because I don't think I've ever seen SWP on the left. That would allow a sub in of SWP for Walcott if it didn't go Theo's way on the day. I'd drop Lampard and only play him in as a sub for Gerrard. I'd drop Beckham and keep him on the bench.

And I'd tell Rooney to take up a position in the hole behind Crouch and Defoe.

3-4-3.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home