Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Friday, March 08, 2013

Can You Call Yourself a Soccer Fan if You Don't Support MLS?

I'm picking up from a thread that UWS emailed earlier today, which I thought deserved to be aired on our forum here at the LOB. Alexi "Big Red" Lalas raised a provocative argument and challenge on his Twitter feed and in Roger Bennett's ESPN column this week: as he put it, "If you live in the U.S., can you call yourself a "soccer fan" even if you don't support MLS?"

In theory, I'd have to instinctively say "no." In practice, however, since I moved away from Boston in 2000 after being thoroughly in the "Midnight Riders" fan culture surrounding the New England Revolution for its first four years of operation, it's become increasingly difficult for me to follow the MLS with any real enthusiasm. Indeed, having made a pledge to myself that I was going to pay more attentions to the Revs and the league this season, I was chastened last Sunday to find that I had missed opening day again!

Of the soccer experts that regularly contribute to this blog, only Gooner71 is a season-ticket holder at an MLS club (DC United), largely because RFK is a mere Metro ride away. I believe that Someone Said regularly goes to Columbus Crew matches. Others may go once in a while. So, what say you, LOBers. How do you stand with MLS in its 16th year of operation? It has certainly contributed to the infrastructure that we now take advantage of; however, do we value it as much as we should?

Here's a link to Roger Bennett's article that UWS sent along via email: http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/relegationzone/id/728?cc=5901

3 Comments:

Blogger Someone Said said...

I do not get to as many Crew matches as you think, maybe one a year. I do however, follow them on TV whenever I can. I'm also embarrassed to admit I do not follow the rest of the league as much as I could, despite living in the city of an established team.

That said, I do believe that MLS is a league that does not get much respect by the national media. There is a great support of the team in Seattle and Toronto that gets little coverage. I guess that's because there's not as much of a fan base in N.Y. or L.A. despite the commissioner's attempts to turn them into powerhouses. Yeah, I'm bitter about that.

We have a 16 year old stadium here that was the first soccer specific league facility in the country and other stadiums have completely blown by it, and Crew management let it happen for years. Only know are they beginning to realize something needs to be done, and it may be to sell the team, or relocate it. In this climate, they can't afford the renovations and there's no way public money is going toward another pro team here.

In better news I'm going to see Celtic/Hibs next month, something to really be excited about!

9:07 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

I have been accused of being a Euro Snob when it comes to football. I think I am. People say that if you like football you should like all of it. Well, I don't want to watch ANY of the European Leagues including the big ones. I like the English game. I would prefer to watch a Championship game than a La Liga or Sirie A. I grew up with keeping track of not only my beloved United but the Liverpool dynasty, the Derbys and Forests winning the league.

I sound like an old fuddy-duddy but I prefer the matches from the 70s and 80s even though United didn't win the league!


As for the MLS, I don't live near any team. NE is 3 hours east and Red Bulls are 3 hours south! I still can't get passed that name!

I was impressed with the Red Bulls Arena went I took the boys to the All Star Game against United. I was impressed with the Union's stadium and their fans singing the entire game while playing Everton.
I am impressed with the Seattle and Portland crowds but the rest... not so much!

I don't like that the MLS play all the way through the summer. I don't like that they have the their championship game in the midst of the the World Series and the NFL!

I don't like the playoffs!

Citeh won the league last year because of that last second goal... so be it!

I am a snob... and I don't see it changing!

11:59 PM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

I read Roger Bennett's article and Lexi's comments. First , I am not an American Soccer. I am an American that is a soccer fan. I do not feel obligated to watch MLS. There is footie beyond MLS, Actually, it is a global game with an endless amount of matches to view.
I may be a Euro snob or as I prefer to think, I am a student of the game. As with other LOBers,I first watched football in England. I lived there from 1977 to 1983. Those were my formative years which greatly influenced my love of the game.It was the football, the passion, the atmosphere, the singing, the chanting , the banter, etc. English football has a special place in my heart and has brought me a great deal of joy and happiness.
If this makes me a Euro snob then so be it. If people like Lexi had their way then they would take the the very thing that has brought me so much joy. I have watched a few MLS and basically it is a dull Championship/ League One level league at best.The vast majority of the players are mediocre and mistake prone.I don't really have any allegiance to this league. The nearest team is the Houston Dynamo, which is 325 miles away. The Dallas team is 500 miles away. There is not a local team. Also, I would like to see MLS do away with the playoffs, playing in the summer, and introduce promotion and relegation.
Don Garber says MLS is the seventh biggest league in the world. That must be based on revenue and attendance. Tenth is more realistic if you fact the South American Leagues.It is definitely much lower if you factor in talent and standard of play. I don't think any less of someone for being an MLS fan, but in order to lure me in there must be a better product.

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home