Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Monday, May 12, 2014

"You can go do one, Ca$hley"

Woy's set out Ca$hley's beach-chair for him, and has decided that Theo can't get fit in the next 30 days, but he's given Frank Lampard a place instead of the gold-watch I'd been hoping for. Here's Woy's provisional squad with alternates. Goalkeepers Joe Hart (Man City), Ben Foster (West Brom), Fraser Forster (Celtic). Defenders Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Chris Smalling (Man Utd), Phil Jones (Man Utd), Leighton Baines (Everton), Luke Shaw (Southampton). Midfielders Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), James Milner (Man City), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), Ross Barkley (Everton), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal). Forwards Wayne Rooney (Man Utd), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Man Utd), Rickie Lambert (Southampton) Stand-bys John Ruddy (Norwich), Jon Flanagan (Liverpool), John Stones (Everton), Michael Carrick (Man Utd), Tom Cleverley (Man Utd), Andy Carroll (West Ham), Jermain Defoe (Toronto)

3 Comments:

Blogger The Blue Devil said...

With a few quibbles, I quite like that squad as the only two old guarders are the skipper Stevie G and Lamps. Glad to see the back of Cashley.

My quibbles - I would have had John Ruddy ahead of both Foster and Forster.

Not quite sure how Smalling, Jones and Welbeck got into the side after United's appalling season - and I'm not sure that UWS or MUR will either.

Finally, those familiar with my comments on LOB will no what I think of Rickie Lambert's inclusion. Jermaine Defoe on the waiting list poised to be called back from his exile in Toronto shows you how thin on the ground we are with strikers at the moment.

I'm reassured that none of those I mentioned will get close to the first team, though.

12:58 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

Agreed about Ruddy. I've been impressed with him and he's younger than Foster. Forster bothers me only because he plays in Scotland against poorer forwards, yet when I've seen him in the few moments he gets in Europe, he's been steady.

The MUFC contingent get in because of a lack of alternatives and specific to Jones, Woy's predilection for jack-of-all-trades types. But Stones has looked steadier in 3 months than Smalling has looked in his career. Flanagan too.

Wellbeck might come good in Brazil because he does have talent. This was an out of form year for him that might go down as a dip in his career. I'd argue for Carroll's inclusion over Lambert because they're very similar, but I think you get more out of Carroll's aggression to get to the ball.

But you're right, with the injuries to Walcott, and Gibbs and thankfully to Jay Rodriguez too, I've got no real quibbles.

2:16 PM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

I found the Dahlgrens comments interesting and agree with them for the most part. First , can the FA sack Woy and bring in a more qualified manager? I am okay with his decisions in goal. Fraser Forster has done well enough in CL matches where he would have made my squad, so I actually would have picked the same three keepers. I agree with Bob that I am not sure how Smalling, Jones , and Wellie made the squad. I was certain that Jon Flanagan was an automatic pick. He would have made my squad. I would have had no qualms with Stones being picked. He deserves it based on current form. Here is a surprise. I would replace Lampard with Gareth Barry. I know he's older and we have complained about him, but I think everyone would agree that is highly responsible for Everton's excellent season. I would replace Wellie with Andy Carroll due to a lack of decent forwards around. I would also get Not so Clever Boy off the stand by and have him join Cashley, to be replaced by Leon Osman. Again, not first choice, but he's played a large part in Everton's great season and deserves to be on stand by or replace Lamps instead of Barry. Anyone who thinks Rickie Lambert is not aggressive enough should ask a certain Mr. Vidic, who will be more than happy to let any know. I think I have said enough

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home