Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Books of 2014

Every year around this time, I take stock of my reading habits over the past year, noting my favorite reads and changes in my reading habits. Every year, I feel increasingly like the only one reading physical books, as most of the people I know have either converted to a Kindle or have stopped reading altogether (sigh). I’m still at it, though, because I love it and it enriches my life. It was a big, busy year for me with lots of life changes, so I didn’t read as many of books as I usual do. However, the quality of what I read was higher than usual. Here are my favorites from 2014:

1) Donna Tartt – The Goldfinch: Donna Tartt only publishes a book every ten years or so, but she certainly makes them count. This story starts with a boy who survives a terrorist attack in a museum and the explodes in a million unexpected directions.

2) Matt Taibbi – The Divide: In the year of Ferguson, Matt Taibbi best explained the huge gulf between a punitive police state for working and poor people and a lenient judicial system for the 1% sociopaths.

3) Nathan Rabin – You Don’t Know Us But You Don’t Like Us: Nathan Rabin’s deep dive into the culture of fans of Phish and The Insane Clown Posse was my favorite book of popular sociology this year. You don’t have to be a fan of either band to be fascinated.

4) Ian McEwan – The Children Act: Opening up a new Ian McEwan book is like having a coffee with an old friend. In his latest, McEwan details a courtroom drama involving a case that pits religious freedom against parental negligence.

5) Glenn Greenwald – No Place to Hide: Glenn Greenwald’s story of meeting NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden in Hong Kong would have made for a great John Le Carre novel…if it weren’t true. An important book about our broken democracy.

6) Mark Goodman, et al – VJ: As an 18 year college student, I was glued to MTV from its first broadcast in the early 80s. Reading the memories of its first five VJs just made me lament the channel’s on-going policy of not showing music all the more. I miss my MTV!

7) Jonathan Lethem – Dissident Gardens: Jonathan Lethem’s novels have left me cold up until this point. However, his look at Communist Party cells in 1950s NYC was right up my alley.

8) Robert McChesney – Digital Disconnect: For some reason, the issue of net neutrality is confusing or boring to some. Robert McChesney lays out the case for the need to rein in corporations from creating a hierarchical Internet that it out of bounds for most of us.

9) Lena Dunham – Not that Kind of Girl: I have a love/hate relationship with the HBO show “Girls” and its creator Lena Dunham. I had the same reaction to this memoir.

10) Nick Hornby – Ten Years Soaking in the Tub: This large compendium of Nick Hornby’s columns about books from The Believer is only necessary for Hornby completists like me.

Notable Others:

*Nicholson Baker – Traveling Sprinkler
*Nelson George - Seduced
*Alissa Nutting - Tampa

I'd love to hear what the rest of you have been reading this year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home