Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Wednesday, September 02, 2020

What the Hell is Going on with the Nations League?




The Nations League returns tomorrow and will continue with matches through the weekend. As you'll remember, I was never a fan of the competition, which struck me as a glorified series of UEFA friendlies. The first round of these matches culminated in a mini-tournament that led to Portugal grabbing the inaugural trophy. Yet, who actually remembers that Portugal are the current holders? 

In light of COVID, this bogus tournament makes even less sense. I'll be honest, I have no idea what the teams that are lining up to play starting tomorrow are playing for - will there be another mini-tournament in summer of 2021 to rival the Euros that actually do matter to people? Will it in some way affect the seeding for Euro 2020 (erm, 2021)? I honestly don't know. Of course, I'll be watching the Iceland v. England match on Saturday because it's a match and I'm a total hypocrite. 

Back in 2018, MUR was a font of information about the ins and outs of the tournament. Anyway, I thought I would start a thread to discuss these and other issues. 

5 Comments:

Blogger manunitedrules said...

Thanks for the post and for the compliment. I'm not exactly an expert, but will give you my best possible explanation.
Your first question regarding the seeding for Euro 20121. The answer is no. NL 2019 is linked to the Euros while this version of the NL is linked to WC 2022, but to a slightly lesser extent.
The next question regarding the mini tournament requires a brief explanation. The four group winner in League A played in the mini tournament in Portugal and to Bob's delight there will be another mini tournament that will take place in either September or October 2021. There will be VAR in this tournament, to the disdain of the entire LOB. It will also consist of the four group winners in League A.
How is this linked to WC qualifying? Ali with the Euros. The four best teams from each league that finish below the top two in one of the ten qualifying groups will qualify for the playoffs. As with this version, each league will have two one legged semifinals and a one one off final. Unlike Euro qualifying, only three teams will qualify for WC 2022 from the playoffs as opposed to four that will qualify from the playoffs for Euro 2021
BTW, does anyone know that the playoffs for the final four spots for EURO 2021 have yet to take place? They were originally scheduled in late March 2020, but were postponed due to COVID 19. The semis will now take place on October 8th with the finals on November 12th . In other words all 24 EURO 2021 spots will be decided on November 12th.

ANY QUESTIONS?

6:38 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Wow - thanks for all of that excellent anoraking, mate. I really appreciate it. I probably will have some other questions before long; however, for now, I can only just scratch my head and wonder how on earth UEFA expects the average footie fan to keep up with all of this nonsense!

1:39 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

That's a great help Dave. But like Bob, I wonder what hallucinigenic drugs UEFA were on when they decided this format. I may never quite get it and just trust someone else to track it.

Anyone on for Spain Germany today?

2:04 PM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

Yes I'm planning on watching that match. Should I post a thread?

2:17 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

I'll be there if you do Dave.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home