Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Friday, August 17, 2007

Becks Scores First Goal in U.S.


Yes, Goldenballs scored a trademark free kick in Wednesday night's Superliga semi-final with D.C. United. He also set up the Galaxy's second goal. Enjoy it. (Apologies to Gooner for this post, but I'll argue that Becks starting and scoring is more important for US footie right now than a Superliga game).

4 Comments:

Blogger gooner71 said...

How come as a 45 year old fat ass I know that against Becks you might want to give up some of the middle and put a defender on the line?

But Gator's right. It was important for Becks to get off the mark as quickly as possible to shut up the nay-sayers. And it was only the Superliga which is awfully silly.

Truth told, I was more disappointed that Landon Don-Tin-Man got a goal. Tell you what, LA's got Donovan, Cobi Jones, and Kyle Martino which is one horrible trio of little twats.

7:17 PM  
Blogger gatorbob said...

You're right, the keeper looked poor on it - he barely moved. Having watched a ton of Becks free kicks over the years, I've noticed that about 85% of them go in the top left corner, so if I were a keeper, I'd always cheat to my right and at least make him work to stick it in the top right.

I'm certainly no Landycakes fan but I was impressed that he first handed the captain's armband to Becks and then immediately pointed toward him after he scored from Becks's inch perfect pass.

Lalas said after the game that that goal put another 10,000 bums in seats for Saturday's game against the Red Bulls - that can't be bad.

12:23 AM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

Exactly, and if we had to fail against the Glam, I'm happy that it was the Superliga. Lalas is correct and I've got no worries now that we can concentrate on the league.

Tin Man's gesture was just another part of the theatre I bet. I bet you that it was a scripted move. It's just a Hollywood ending for the punters.

9:52 AM  
Blogger gatorbob said...

Another Beckham-led thriller at the Meadowlands last night with 60,000 in attendance. The Red Bulls pulled it out 5-4 in the end, but not before Becks laid two goals on a plate for the Galaxy strikers. Plus Altidore scored two. All good news for MLS and American footie fans.

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home