Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

RIP Jimmy Saville (1927-2011)

I'm feeling just a wee bit older this afternoon as another cultural icon from my youth - Jimmy Saville - has died at the age of 84. I recently read a brilliant book about DJ culture and found that, far from the buffoon with the big cigar and fright wig on TOTP, Saville was a legendary pioneer who invented much of the early DJing equipment. RIP Jimmy. Who'll fix it now?

4 Comments:

Blogger manunitedrules said...

You and me both. I knew that he passed away about two weeks ago,but did not realize that he was that old. I know that he was from Leeds,whom he represented quite well. When I lived in England I thought of him as a novelty act and thought he was a bit flashy. He did make people's dreams come true. Based on the book we must pay tribute to his contributions to DJing in general. Well stated,BD.

9:45 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

So that's Jim, Tommy Vance, and John Peel who are all no longer here.

But I wonder why with all the crappy reality shows that are on, why one like "Fix it" wouldn't work today?

10:51 PM  
Blogger United We Stand said...

I posted this about a week or so ago. MUR and BD both commented.
Your comment Bob was sort of negative about him

6:48 AM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

I just thought his passing deserved a posting here, mate. My comment both here and in your email thread was to the effect that his image in the 70s was rather buffoonish but that he's got a strong legacy among British DJs.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home