Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Friday, February 04, 2011

The "Bruce" Game

No, this hasn't got anything to do with Monty Python sketches about Australians...or about Bruce Springsteen. When I was in Belize recently, I had a very entertaining (and profane) roommate named Tim who's favorite game was to substitute the word "Bruce" for the word "you" in love songs or just songs in general. So, we spent two weeks in the hotel room coming up with good ones and bellowing out the likes of "WITH OR WITHOUT BRUUUUCE....WITH OR WITHOUT BRUUUUUUCE. I CAN'T LIVE WITH OR WITHOUT BRUUUUUUUCE."

The best ones, we found, were ones in which "Bruce" is elongated such as in the U2 example above or when the "Bruce" doesn't come up right away but sneaks up on you in the second line, such as:

"I'm all out of love/I'm so lost without Bruce." (Air Supply)

I was also very proud of:

"I want Bruuuuuce...to show me the way." (Peter Frampton)
"Hey! Bruce! Get offa my cloud." (The Stones)

So how many goodies can you think of?

8 Comments:

Blogger United We Stand said...

Sung in a very high pitched voice
Loving Bruce--- Minnie Riperton

Lovin Bruce is easy cause you're beautiful
Makin love with Bruce is all I wanna do
Lovin Bruce is more than just a dream come true
And everything that I do is out of lovin Bruce
Lalalalalalalalaala

7:20 AM  
Blogger Bivalve88 said...

All I wanna do is
Keep on lovin' Bruce... REO Speedwagon

I'm burnin'
I'm burnin'
I'm burnin' for Bruce...
Blue Oyster Cult

8:49 AM  
Blogger West Ham Rising said...

Bruce fills up my senses like a night in a forest,
Like the mountains in springtime,
Like a walk in the rain, like a storm in the desert,
Like a sleepy blue ocean.
Bruce fills up my senses, come fill me again.

Come let me love Bruce, let me give my life to Bruce,
Let me drown in your laughter, let me die in your arms.
Let me lay down beside Bruce, let me always be with Bruce
Come let me love Bruce, come love me again.

9:38 AM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Ah - it's good to see that the "Bruce" spirit is strong among the LOB faithful. Love all the 70s references, folks. Cheers!

11:15 AM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

Let me cheapen the moment by adding, "Bruce Shook Me All Night Long," and Cee-Lo Green's "F**k Bruce."

5:51 PM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

I think ELO had a song that actually had the word Bruce in it several times. Were they thinking the same as us. Also, When Bruce Springsteen says I love Bruce, is he talking to his wife or himself?

9:45 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

I think you're probably thinking of "Don't Bring me Down," the chorus of which is:

"Don't bring me down...groooose (repeat three times)
Don't bring me down

Not quite sure what Jeff Lynne was smoking then.

10:33 PM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

You must be correct. In " An Evil Woman" It begins with " Bruce Made a Fool of Me."

Jeff Lynne is a lifelong Birmingham City supporter , so he must still be smoking the same stuff. Scary!

Three Dog Night states" One is the Loneliest Number that Bruce'll Ever do."

Jim Croce states " Bruce Better Beware of a Man Named Leroy Brown."

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home