Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Thursday, March 01, 2012

Any Chance of an LOB Reunion?

I'm starting this thread so that we can begin chatting about the possibility of an LOB reunion this summer to correspond with Euro 2012. Here are the details. The tournament kicks off Friday, June 8, with host team Poland in action. England's first match is against the French on Monday, June 11th at noon EST. I've wiped my slate clean for June, but I know that our teacher members will be in school through most of the group stages. So, let me humbly suggest that we try to shoot for getting together for the quarter-finals - they start on Thursday, June 21 and carry on through Sunday, June 24. England will either play on Saturday (probably against Spain) at 2:45 EST, if they place second in the group, or Sunday (Italy against Italy) at 2:45 EST. More about the schedule here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_schedule

In terms of the location, I'm an open book. I don't mind traveling and booking into a hotel if necessary. I would also welcome anyone up here to beautiful WNY (I can host at least two people - or three if they're especially friendly) in my apartment and there are plenty of cheap hotels nearby as well.

So, what say you, folks?

5 Comments:

Blogger manunitedrules said...

I am definitely interested.I just need to know the specifics such as the location and the dates as I would need to book a flight. The sooner the better as I expect the price of airfare to escelate due to the soaring gas prices.I believe some dates and locations have been discussed and I apologize if I seem like I am rushing people, but I am basing my opinion the expected increase in gas prices. I am definitely interested and am willing to help organize if you need me to help.

5:30 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

I'm game for a road trip up to Fred-town if that would make it easy, and I can spring for a couple of hotel nights too so that anyone with the expense of flying could stay with Bob.

I can also host 2 in the subterranean basement suite if a trip to DC works out better.

I think it's a smashing idea.

6:17 PM  
Blogger West Ham Rising said...

The Mendittos will be on our summer vacation that week, returning to DC the evening of 6/23. Would love to gather for the Sunday match if DC was the location. Would be happy to open our home to you all in our absence if we needed extra rooms in DC.

8:23 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Well, it sounds as if D.C. is again the logical location, then, in order to include WHR and family at least on the Sunday. What I'd probably do is to drive in on Wednesday and spend the weekend with the Gooner. I'm very willing to pick up UWS on the way, if that helps. Also very willing to share the Gooner basement space with whoever is around. Looking forward to it!

5:20 PM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

Then D.C. it is. Does that mean we start Wednesday the 20thor Wednesday the 27th? Also, should I fly to Dulles, Reagan, Or BMI?

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home