Lakenheath Old Boys

We are all former students at Lakenheath High School and other public schools in East Anglia. We were in school in the 70s and 80s and drank deeply from the well of British culture of those decades - the pints, the telly, and of course the footie!

Thursday, August 30, 2012

2012/13 Champions League Draw

The instant analysis of this draw has Citeh faring worst of all the British entrants in the group round this year. Group A: Porto, Dynamo Kiev, Paris St-Germain, Dinamo Zagreb Group B: Arsenal, Schalke, Olympiakos, Montpellier Group C: Milan, Zenit St Petersburg, Anderlecht, Malaga Group D: Real Madrid, Manchester City, Ajax, Borussia Dortmund Group E: Chelsea, Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus, Nordsjaelland Group F: Bayern Munich, Valencia, Lille, Bate Borisov Group G: Barcelona, Benfica, Spartak Moscow, Celtic Group H: Manchester United, Braga, Galatasaray, Cluj I have no great problem with our task, but there are banana skins in Germany and Greece if we're not careful. What say you United boys?

6 Comments:

Blogger United We Stand said...

Pleased enough... but I was last year.... we came third!!!



What about Group D?

YIKES!!!!

I would have liked PSG or Juve step in instead of Ajax

1:47 PM  
Blogger gooner71 said...

D is the one that stands out as the toughest task. I kinda like it because it will occupy Citeh and stretch their resources. And if they take a nice humiliating battering from Madrid in the Bernabeu, all the better. Dortmund might have shed enough weapons in the transfer market that they don't present quite the threat they did last year. I couldn't tell you a thing abou Ajax other than they've lost a captain and mainstay of their defence in that Vertonghen bloke and that nippy and fancy haircut up front whose name escapes me.

1:54 PM  
Blogger manunitedrules said...

I like our drawe. Basically no excuses if we fail to advance.Hopefully we learned our lesson last year not to be complacent against lesser opposition.Citeh have a tougher draw because , unlike the other EPL clubs,they were placed in pot 2 instead of pot one.I still believe Citeh can advance and Roberto will feel that Dortmund and Ajax will be the key fixtures.Citeh should be able to finish second. I fear that if they are eliminated then it will be easier for them to focus on the league.Arsenal should easily top Group B and Chelsea should qualify, but Juve will challenge them for the top spot in Group E.Poor Celtic are out of their element in Group G as Barca and Benfica should easily advance. The Bhoys will do well to finish thirtd and parachute into the Europa League, but I wouldn't bet on it.

3:23 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Thanks for the post, Gooner. I reckon that anyone who stayed clear of Group D must be happy. Poor old Celtic, though. They're just there to soak up the atmosphere of a few European night.

By the way, my pick for the Europa League FC Porto are in with Kiev and PSG, so I reckon I'm on the money that they'll be shuffled off to the EL by January.

3:39 PM  
Blogger West Ham Rising said...

As a West Ham supporter, I have not a clue what you lot are on about. I will be at the 6th & I Synagogue tonight to see Rodriguez.

4:54 PM  
Blogger The Blue Devil said...

Sweet! Have you seen the new doc about the man - Searching for Sugarman?

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home